PDA

View Full Version : High flow fish

fishsuse29
08/09/2017, 01:07 PM
My 6 foot 150g is setup as a peninsula where one half of the tank is high flow with two mp40s for sps and the other half has softies/lps.

What I am finding is that all of the fish seem to like hanging out on the low flow side of the tank. Is there any fish that specifically like high flow?

CoralsAddiction
08/09/2017, 01:27 PM
tangs. I've seen them in the shallowest reefs in Hawaii.

ca1ore
08/10/2017, 10:55 AM
Anthias

fishsuse29
08/11/2017, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. The tangs like the flow and will do laps around the tank but they still end up relaxing in the low flow areas.

I've always heard that about Anthis but mine have tended to just kind of float around and not really go directly in the flow. Are they more likely to go in the flow if you have a group of them?

Gweeds
08/11/2017, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. The tangs like the flow and will do laps around the tank but they still end up relaxing in the low flow areas.

I've always heard that about Anthis but mine have tended to just kind of float around and not really go directly in the flow. Are they more likely to go in the flow if you have a group of them?Bare in mind all animals have an instinct to conserve energy... makes sense when you never know when your next meal will be. So even fish who live on the reef crest will seek out lower flow areas in order to save energy.

I have the same set up, with about 50% of my 320g having really strong flow and the the other 50% being much lower... most of my fish, tangs included, will spend most of the time in the lower flow area.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

fishsuse29
08/15/2017, 06:56 AM
Thanks that's kind of what I figured. Just trying to avoid aggression/overcrowding as I start to stock the tank

hogfanreefer
08/15/2017, 09:43 PM
Not all tangs are created equal. Gold Rims and Achilles are two that prefer high flow/surge zones. When we were diving in Hawaii we saw yellow tangs, Kole tangs, Naso, Orange shoulders everywhere. We only saw Achilles and Gold Rims when we got in the more shallow surge type areas.

One of the dive sites we saw them in was called Suck 'em Up which gives you an idea what that was like!