PDA

View Full Version : Led lighting Redsea Reefer 170

rishma
08/09/2017, 01:25 PM
I have a new Redsea reefer 170 and the lights I planned to use are not going to work out (long story). Tank is 24"x20"v20"

This system is a downsize from my current reef, primarily LPS and soft corals. I do not want to be limited but honestly not expect to go to a full SPS tank in this system.

I am not super concerned about price but would have to be convinced to spend more. I tend to buy good quality and use it for a very long time but this hasn't been true with LED in the past. That said, I have been reasonably happy with a black box version because I don't care very much about control and it grew corals just fine.

I actually am not comfortable with too much customization and prefer to choose pre-sets with a spectrum that looks good to my eyes. I am turned off by complicated programing. Complicated is relative but just consider me barely computer literate. I have a Mac and iphone.

I do like diming and built in timers. I want good coverage.

I am considering the following, with concerns:

Mitras LX7 - Concerns: I would need to hang length-wise from the ceiling and it only has 2 hanging points and the cord is on the side. Seems like it would be a pain to keep it straight as has been indicated by others. Also, I only own a Mac and I don't quite understand how to load and use the GCC (yet, but seems like I could get there).

Radion G4 Pro - Concerns: Maybe overkill for my needs. It is the highest price. I don't think I'd buy reeflink so It would require me to hardwire each time I adjust lights (not a big deal).

Reefbreeders Photon V2 (16"). Concerns: PIA to program. Disco ball effect?

AI Hydra 26 HD - Concerns: App and built in wifi seem nice but there are many complaints about app and unit reliability over 1+yr.

Opinions and feedback welcome. Thanks.

Ron Reefman
08/10/2017, 08:05 AM
Reefbreeders Photon V2 (16"). Concerns: PIA to program. Disco ball effect?Opinions and feedback welcome. Thanks.

I think you have a pretty good handle on the issues.

I'll address the RB Photon.

Turn off the red and green leds and there is no disco effect. I do run mine for 4 hours at midday when the disco effect is VERY minimal. You don't need the red and green anyway. :thumbsup:

The programming is a bit old school and it takes me about 5 to 8 minutes to do a full program. If that's too much effort for you, I wouldn't choose RB. But how many times do you do a program? I think I've played with mine a lot and I've only done 5 or 6 full program runs. It's just not that big a deal, they are all a PITA, that's why we paid extra for sunrise/sunset control... so we can complain! :beer:

rishma
08/10/2017, 10:25 AM
Thanks Ron

solitude127
08/11/2017, 10:10 AM
I have a XR15 G3 over my RedSea reefer 170 and like it. I have mostly LPS, a couple of Millies up top and a lot of flower nems on the sand bed. Overall, I think it's plenty but if I were to go with more SPS, the XR30 would be needed.

moondoggy4
08/11/2017, 12:04 PM
I would look into Kessil 160 I have mine to just come on and turn off. It can be dimmed but I do not use that, a simple on and off. Angle the two to cross beam kinda like an X that way you get better coverage.

Start with one and when you need more add the second one.

smatter
08/11/2017, 12:36 PM
I second moondoggy4. Plus the form factor just looks great over the REEFER series tanks.