PDA

View Full Version : SPS and Nutrients

malx
08/10/2017, 01:10 PM
Hi, All.

Will 10ppm of Nitrates and .05ppm of Phosphates bother SPS? My tank has been too clean in the past and finally things are starting to look good. I have no algae issues. I do have a few isolated cases where some SPS does not look good but for the most part everything seems to be OK.

I'm happy that I finally registered some nutrients.

Cheers,
Joey

bif24701
08/10/2017, 01:30 PM
Hi, All.

Will 10ppm of Nitrates and .05ppm of Phosphates bother SPS? My tank has been too clean in the past and finally things are starting to look good. I have no algae issues. I do have a few isolated cases where some SPS does not look good but for the most part everything seems to be OK.

Cheers,

Joey

I would go with what your corals tell you.

For me, those number are in the ideal range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malx
08/10/2017, 01:38 PM
I would go with what your corals tell you.

For me, those number are in the ideal range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok cool, thanks!

chgoblknazn
08/10/2017, 01:38 PM
Those numbers look ok to me. Are you still running Zeovit?

tmantaylor18
08/10/2017, 01:42 PM
I'm in the same boat but my nutrients are a little less than yours. I too subscribed to the idea that ULNS was the way to go and I had no idea why my SPS color was always lacking.

Like bif said above, looking at your corals health and color is a good way to tell what nutrient levels are working. If you start to see corals losing color or browning out then you may want to dial the nitrates back a bit.

malx
08/10/2017, 01:48 PM
Those numbers look ok to me. Are you still running Zeovit?

I'm only using the products for elements and coral food. I'm not using any of the nutrient reduction products other than Coral Snow and Cyano Clean once per week to keep the little bit of Cyano I have in check.

malx
08/10/2017, 01:49 PM
I'm in the same boat but my nutrients are a little less than yours. I too subscribed to the idea that ULNS was the way to go and I had no idea why my SPS color was always lacking.

Like bif said above, looking at your corals health and color is a good way to tell what nutrient levels are working. If you start to see corals losing color or browning out then you may want to dial the nitrates back a bit.

Yeah sounds good. Thanks for the advice!

DivingTheWorld
08/10/2017, 02:43 PM
I dose to 5ppm Nitrate but I think 10ppm is just fine. I can't register higher than 0.003 Phosphate so I'm considering dosing that as well. I WISH I could register 0.05!

malx
08/10/2017, 03:18 PM
I dose to 5ppm Nitrate but I think 10ppm is just fine. I can't register higher than 0.003 Phosphate so I'm considering dosing that as well. I WISH I could register 0.05!

What do you put in the tank to dose nitrates? Curious.

DivingTheWorld
08/10/2017, 03:36 PM
I dose Potassium Nitrate powder mixed with RODI.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2529961

I only dose about once every month or two, but if my sps keep growing that will likely increase.

ClownNut
08/10/2017, 06:00 PM
i keep mine at nutrients at 0, i dose zeovit additives.

jda
08/10/2017, 06:48 PM
Do you have a good nitrate test kit? I like to be below 1 on N for best color and growth, but I would not stress if I got up to 10 for a while if I got busy with other parts of my life - however, this is nearly impossible with so much rock and sand.

I have a Hannah ultra low nitrate kit now, but when I used Salifert, I wanted it to be clear when looking through the side.

slavetonet
08/10/2017, 06:57 PM
undetectable nutrients in my new tank.
Corals are doing great with it.
I usually don't keep it this low as it doesn't allow any mistake like a broken dosing pump.
Having nutrients is essential for corals to live, it is just excess of it that is bad.
Having plenty of living organics in the tank is best for corals as oppose of inorganic form.

reefmutt
08/11/2017, 07:49 AM
I WISH I had your p problems.. my p is ALWAYS above .1 usually closer to .15..

Hi, All.

Cheers,
Joey

I think those numbers are pretty good. id say that is my target.. maybe closer to 5 ppm for n..
Big E has talked about the ratio between n and p being ideal AROUND 100/1. Not essential but generally in the area of best chance for happy corals.
I would say, however, that if that is where your system is leveling out to, then you are pretty good and don't try to alter it too aggressively.
It's a perfectly good range.

edwardwilliams
08/12/2017, 08:56 PM
Imo a lil bit is good!