PDA

View Full Version : PVC paint

SFish
08/10/2017, 07:55 PM
What paint is used on the outside of PVC pipe? Does it matter if the pipe is in the water? I know people have painted PVC before.

Clowning_Around
08/10/2017, 08:52 PM
Krylon fusion is considered by many safe once cured for in wayer use. Rustoleums painters touch 2x works well bit I dont know if its safe for in water use, i have used it outside and.been pleased with it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

der_wille_zur_macht
08/10/2017, 09:46 PM
PVC pipe and fittings are available pre-colored. Look for "furniture grade" PVC on amazon or other vendors.

But yeah if you already have the standard white stuff, krylon fusion is fine. Honestly, I don't think I would be picky about brand. Just make sure it's fully cured (a week, minimum) before it goes underwater.

SFish
08/10/2017, 11:29 PM
PVC pipe and fittings are available pre-colored. Look for "furniture grade" PVC on amazon or other vendors.

But yeah if you already have the standard white stuff, krylon fusion is fine. Honestly, I don't think I would be picky about brand. Just make sure it's fully cured (a week, minimum) before it goes underwater.

Yeah

I don't really want to pay $10 for pipe that I can get for $1.50.

Rx79394
08/11/2017, 02:14 AM
Yeah

I don't really want to pay $10 for pipe that I can get for $1.50.

I'm feeling you on this one! I am looking to restart my tank and go hard plumbing as well.

I haven't seen too many tank builds of the painted PVC since the colored stuff became more prevalent. Off to search now to see how they turn out!

mcgyvr
08/11/2017, 05:03 AM
Most if not all spray paint is safe once fully cured..

Proper prep is key to successful long term adhesion (even more so if used underwater)..

SFish
08/11/2017, 05:36 AM
Most if not all spray paint is safe once fully cured..

Proper prep is key to successful long term adhesion (even more so if used underwater)..

How do you prep it?

SFish
08/11/2017, 05:39 AM
I'm feeling you on this one! I am looking to restart my tank and go hard plumbing as well.

I haven't seen too many tank builds of the painted PVC since the colored stuff became more prevalent. Off to search now to see how they turn out!

There was a thread about sump designs or plumbing going around for a while. I can't seem to find it now but if I remember right I think there were some guys who did this that posted.

SFish
08/11/2017, 08:14 PM
I found it

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1663066&page=16