PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Marin Reef Actif

kainic
08/11/2017, 04:06 AM
This is not intended to be an advertisment nor I'm in any way related to Tropic Marin. This thread is created to be a reference for all Reef Actif users abroad. There's a huge thread on a (german forum (https://www.meerwasserforum.info/index.php/Thread/37498-reef-actif/?pageNo=8)) (hope it's not a RC TOC violation to provide this link) where many people share their experiences with this product, but there's not a big thread in english.

For those who do not know the product, Tropic Marin's description is as follows:

For water care between water changes

REEF ACTIF contains marine biopolymers which bind excess nutrients and other pollutants and lead to their decomposition via specialized microorganisms. This promotes a natural marine microbiology environment in the aquarium and keeps the water extremely clear.

The activation of the microflora provides the water with numerous vitamins and other vital substances in a wholly natural manner. Corals and shells open better and display their full range of colors. Fishes, too, benefit from the stable bacteria flora and the probiotic effect; they become robust, displaying their vitality in the form of perfect coloration.

Benefits:
• Ensures consistent water conditions between water changes
• Has a double function as adsorber and valuable bacteria nutrition in the aquarium
• Binds nutrients and encourages their utilisation through bacteria and other organisms
• Promotes the removal of water contamination by binding contaminating substances
• Slow decomposition of excess nutrients without oxygen consumption in the aquarium
• Improves consistency and continuity of skimming
• Enhances vitality and coloration of corals and reef mussels

And it's dosage instructions
How to use:
One measuring spoon of REEF ACTIF once a week per 500 I / 130 US-Gal. of aquarium system water volume. Stir REEF ACTIF into some aquarium water and then add it to the aquarium. Make sure it is blended as evenly as possible.

Maximum dosage: One measuring spoon for a 500 I (130 US-Gal.) aquarium, three times a week. For aquarium systems without skimmers: One measuring spoon for a 1000 I (260 US-gal.) aquarium.

REEF ACTIF can be used in combination with all other products of the BIO-ACTIF-SYSTEM. This does not result in overdosing of organic substances.

There's some RC users currently dosing Reef Actif: DiscusHeckel (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2406948), Pife (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647171), illumnae (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2646486) and myself (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2593169)

I'd like this thread to be a compendium of experiences and questions about this product. Hope it helps.

reefmutt
08/11/2017, 07:38 AM
I haven't started using it yet but have it in my cupboard. I will start trying it out eventually..
Following.

Alfrareef
08/11/2017, 07:44 AM
Interesting... did you get the cons?

DiscusHeckel
08/11/2017, 01:23 PM
I have been using this product since 25th May 2017 to complement my main nutrient export tool, Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance.

I started to dose it because I was curious to find out its impact on my reef (positive or negative). I like experimenting. This is what keeps me going in this hobby. I am good at record keeping for future reference and to benefit wider community. You can find my diary on TM Reef Actif diary on my Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/notes/trout/tropic-marin-reef-actif-diary/1232930053499408/).

Please feel free to post your comments or questions to my Facebook note or alternatively to my tank thread. I will do my best to share my opinion with you. I will also chip in any discussions in this thread.

Cheers

Bülent

08/11/2017, 09:08 PM
2 questions as my very interested :-

1. Can this be used with other branded bacteria like Zeobak and Aquaforest Pro Bio S?
2. How do we dose in smaller tanks like 100 gallon or so (below 400 liters)?

Regards,
Abhishek

kainic
08/12/2017, 12:23 AM
2 questions as my very interested :-

1. Can this be used with other branded bacteria like Zeobak and Aquaforest Pro Bio S?
2. How do we dose in smaller tanks like 100 gallon or so (below 400 liters)?

Regards,
AbhishekAs any other bacteria fuel its recommended to start slow and increase dose over time. My understanding is that its not counterproductive to use Reef Actif with any bacteria source.

For smaller tanks (like mine which is 90g) you can dose 1/2 or 1/4 as the spoon has the marks for it.

Alfrareef
08/12/2017, 03:39 AM
Thanks Bülent.
I'll give it a chance and going to read more about it. At first it seems one more carbon source...
Thanks for the info.

DiscusHeckel
08/12/2017, 04:25 AM
Thanks Bülent.
I'll give it a chance and going to read more about it. At first it seems one more carbon source...
Thanks for the info.

Yes, it is a carbon source in the form of biopolymers, which bind nutrients and release them only when they are "degraded by bacteria living on symbiosis with sponges, corals, mussels, tubular worms and most other filtering marine animals" (ref: Hans-Werner Balling)

Alfrareef
08/12/2017, 04:30 AM
So I should stop NOPOX dosing while using it?

plyle02
08/12/2017, 08:14 AM
If it were my reef, I would discontinue dosing of carbon source for a couple of days post water change, would not want to encourage a cyano bloom...

DiscusHeckel
08/12/2017, 10:22 AM
So I should stop NOPOX dosing while using it?

I cannot give you a definite yes or no answer as it depends on your present PO4 readings, which in my opinion much more crucial to corals' health than nitrates. You do not want to lower PO4 to very low levels as it will shock your corals. If measurable phosphates are below 0.0246 mg/L, I would probably consider quitting NOPOX. If, on the other hand, it is higher than this value, then I would continue with caution and observe corals daily (colouration and polyp extension).

reefmutt
08/12/2017, 12:28 PM
I cannot give you a definite yes or no answer as it depends on your present PO4 readings, which in my opinion much more crucial to corals' health than nitrates. You do not want to lower PO4 to very low levels as it will shock your corals. If measurable phosphates are below 0.246 mg/L, I would probably consider quitting NOPOX. If, on the other hand, it is higher than this value, then I would continue with caution and observe corals daily (colouration and polyp extension).

Bulent, did you mean .246 or .0246?
Maybe I'm mixing up my measures..

DiscusHeckel
08/12/2017, 02:02 PM
Bulent, did you mean .246 or .0246?
Maybe I'm mixing up my measures..

You are right Matt. I have corrected my mistake.

Rick55555
08/12/2017, 03:00 PM
I am interested in this product. Please keep the information coming.

Thanks,
Rick

Pife
08/13/2017, 08:07 PM
I am about to dose my first dose. It will be one level spoonful. My water system is now than double the recommended dose for a spoonful so I'm starting slow.

I am dosing bio digest too. And vinegar.

Nitrates at 5 and p04s at . 06

reefmutt
08/13/2017, 08:14 PM
What's the rational for using both reef actif and vinegar?

Pife
08/13/2017, 10:18 PM
What's the rational for using both reef actif and vinegar?

I am stuck at 5 nitrate. I have increased vinegar dosing and that did not lower then so I'm trying a different carbon source. I just don't get it. I also ordered and received a swabbie to try and increase my skimmers productivity. I have since dosing bio digest had a big up swing in skimmate production. Triple my normal amount with out the lowering of nitrate.

illumnae
08/14/2017, 01:09 AM
I have a different interpretation of what Reef Actif is. I do not think that it is a carbon source similar to Nopox or vinegar. Tropic Marin actually has several other carbon source products including NP Bacto Balance, Elimi-NP and NP Bacto Pellets. On the Tropic Marin website, those 3 products are listed in the "Nutrient Control" category, while Reef Actif is listed in the "Minerals" category.

The description of the product states that they are "marine biopolymers", but while most/all carbon sources are polymers of some sort (some even being biopolymers), not all biopolymers are carbon sources.

The stated benefit of this product is to promote water stability by binding excess nutrients and pollutants in the water and aiding in their decomposition. The microorganisms that perform such decomposition (which includes bacteria) is supposed to create a better overall environment for our tank inhabitants.

I see this product as being similar to the Reef Vitality product from Fauna Marin.

reefmutt
08/14/2017, 05:12 AM
I am stuck at 5 nitrate. I have increased vinegar dosing and that did not lower then so I'm trying a different carbon source. I just don't get it. I also ordered and received a swabbie to try and increase my skimmers productivity. I have since dosing bio digest had a big up swing in skimmate production. Triple my normal amount with out the lowering of nitrate.

Oh! I get it, so you've been using vinegar already..
So, reef actif is the next step. Ok.

I have a different interpretation of what Reef Actif is. I do not think that it is a carbon source similar to Nopox or vinegar. Tropic Marin actually has several other carbon source products including NP Bacto Balance, Elimi-NP and NP Bacto Pellets. On the Tropic Marin website, those 3 products are listed in the "Nutrient Control" category, while Reef Actif is listed in the "Minerals" category.

The description of the product states that they are "marine biopolymers", but while most/all carbon sources are polymers of some sort (some even being biopolymers), not all biopolymers are carbon sources.

The stated benefit of this product is to promote water stability by binding excess nutrients and pollutants in the water and aiding in their decomposition. The microorganisms that perform such decomposition (which includes bacteria) is supposed to create a better overall environment for our tank inhabitants.

I see this product as being similar to the Reef Vitality product from Fauna Marin.

100% agree

DiscusHeckel
08/14/2017, 05:15 AM

Reef Actif is a carbon source. To quote Hans-Werner: "REEF ACTIF contains a carbon source in the form of the mentioned biopolymers. These, like most organic compounds, are mainly carbon."

There may, however, be a difference between biopolymers and carbon contained in Bacto-balance and possibly vinegar, vodka and sugars. Different carbon sources must feed different types of bacteria. I am currently studying this.

To quote Hans-Werner again " ... specialized marine bacteria, but they live in symbiosis with sponges, corals, mussels, tubular worms and most other filtering marine animals. This usually means that the filterers harbor these symbiontic bacteria and feed them food"

What I do not know is whether or not this type of bacteria are different from facultative heterotrophic bacteria that live on surfaces and also possibly in the water column. This is what I am studying. Once I know the answer I will be able to answer the question BigE posed in my tank thread. That is "I'm not sure I see what it [Reef Actif] offers that Bacto balance doesn't? Bacto balance contains a carbon source, correct?"

illumnae
08/14/2017, 07:20 AM
Biopolymers are organic polymers which means they are, by definition, carbon compounds. What I meant to say is that my view is that Reef Actif is not a carbon source in the traditional reefing use of the term, not that it does not contain carbon in its makeup. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Fun fact: DNA is a type of biopolymer :)

DiscusHeckel
08/14/2017, 08:20 AM
Biopolymers are organic polymers which means they are, by definition, carbon compounds. What I meant to say is that my view is that Reef Actif is not a carbon source in the traditional reefing use of the term, not that it does not contain carbon in its makeup. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Fun fact: DNA is a type of biopolymer :)

If you are right, then this pust clear blue water between Reef Actif and organic carbon based products, such as Bacto-Balance, vinegar etc. This also explains why Reef Actif was not listed in nutrient reduction category in TM's product list. I will get back to you on that once I establish communication with Herr Balling on this topic.

illumnae
08/14/2017, 10:15 AM
Yup that's exactly my thought. Hope you get a response from Herr Balling. Frankly this is one of the components of the system that truly puzzles me, like Reef Vitality did when I used to use the Fauna Marin system. Their descriptions are very similar though

Alfrareef
08/14/2017, 05:21 PM
This Reef Actif it's getting more interesting... thanks you all.
waiting for more information...

Pife
08/14/2017, 06:39 PM
It seems as if I am having a bit of cyanobacteria bloom. I don't know if it is in direct correlation with the dosing of reef actif or not.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Pife
08/14/2017, 07:28 PM
Picture of cyano. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170815/e90fd505e2bf6dbc5ab61fe25f72c088.jpg

Alfrareef
08/15/2017, 05:21 AM
Maybe you should start slowly. Half reduction?

codydemmel4
08/16/2017, 09:54 AM
i want to follow along on here too.

illumnae
08/16/2017, 10:32 AM
Pife, I have a few thoughts about your cyano.

First, your tank looks rather new. Cyano could well be part of the initial stabilisation of your tank, especially if you started with dead rock. When I first rebooted my tank, prior to starting Reef Actif, I had cyano appear for a couple of weeks as well.

I note from your thread that you're dosing some other supplements as well, notably Coral v and Fish v from Aquaforest. I've personally never noticed anything good from either of those products when using them and have since thrown them away. If you like the brand, I have found Micro E helps in getting rid of cyano. Otherwise, Tropic Marin A- and K+ Elements works as well when dosed in a ratio of higher A and lower K. The theory is that higher manganese to iron ratio causes cyano to get "poisoned". I read this off biggles' thread.

What are your nutrient levels? If you've got low nitrates and higher phosphates, that may be the cause of cyano. Carbon dosing on top of that could make it worse.

I don't think Reef Actif is the cause of your cyano.

Pife
08/16/2017, 11:24 AM
Pife, I have a few thoughts about your cyano.

First, your tank looks rather new. Cyano could well be part of the initial stabilisation of your tank, especially if you started with dead rock. When I first rebooted my tank, prior to starting Reef Actif, I had cyano appear for a couple of weeks as well.

I note from your thread that you're dosing some other supplements as well, notably Coral v and Fish v from Aquaforest. I've personally never noticed anything good from either of those products when using them and have since thrown them away. If you like the brand, I have found Micro E helps in getting rid of cyano. Otherwise, Tropic Marin A- and K+ Elements works as well when dosed in a ratio of higher A and lower K. The theory is that higher manganese to iron ratio causes cyano to get "poisoned". I read this off biggles' thread.

What are your nutrient levels? If you've got low nitrates and higher phosphates, that may be the cause of cyano. Carbon dosing on top of that could make it worse.

I don't think Reef Actif is the cause of your cyano.My DT is new. It has been only set up for 8 weeks. It was however tied into a 3 year old larger system in my basement.

I keep my phosphates at .02 ppm. I'm trying to lower my nitrates from 5. I think it is just a bacteria out of balance thing. It could also be flow related in my DT. With how little there is it will be gone before to long. I might put a little micro e in just to expedite the process.

I believe I have noticed dramatic changes from dosing both products but I am willing to stop for a month and see.

reefmutt
08/17/2017, 05:20 PM
Keep in mind that there is copper in micro e, so not a product you want to overdose too much.

Pife
08/17/2017, 08:42 PM
So I decided to stay on track with the 3 spoonfuls a week. I dosed my 2nd yesterday. Cyano is very limited. I increased the turn over in my display tonight. I also rebuilt another mp40 so I'm sure it will take care of the flow issues. I will test nutrients this weekend and post them.

Alfrareef
08/18/2017, 01:16 AM
Following

marthin
08/19/2017, 04:13 PM
Been using for absolute years and it makes my water super clear.. since my crash (very sore subject and silly mistake of not reading up about given cucumber and their toxins) my tank is running almost too clean as I went from 27 fish to now 12.. many very small.
I still do it once a week and I personally love the results.. just be wary of light shock as it surely does create a massively clear water space

Pife
08/19/2017, 04:16 PM
The day after dosing I have had an increase of cyano on my sand again.

codydemmel4
08/21/2017, 06:36 PM
any updates for anyone? I just got mine and was wondering how much do you guys recommend I dose once a week?

Also do you think it is better to dose only once a week or maybe 2-3 times a week? Also when does it make sense to dose when I do water changes? Directly after?

I do water changes once a week

Pife
08/22/2017, 06:58 PM
Just tested nutrients and they are a little less than 5 on nitrates and .04 on p04s. I have seen nothing note worthy from dosing yet.

Cody I'm starting by dosing half the minimum recommended for my system.

DiscusHeckel
08/27/2017, 05:57 PM
If you are dosing Reef Actif, can you please observe your fish and note this product's impact on their health (positive or negative)?

Pife
08/27/2017, 08:06 PM
If you are dosing Reef Actif, can you please observe your fish and note this product's impact on their health (positive or negative)?I have seen no positive or negative impact on my fish. I will observe them immediately after dosing.

illumnae
08/28/2017, 12:42 AM
I've been dosing it for a month and don't notice any impact on the health of my fishes.

kainic
08/28/2017, 12:56 AM
I've been dosing it for a month and don't notice any impact on the health of my fishes.Neither do I after 3 doses at 1/3 the recommended dose.
Bülent, are you asking due to a bad experience with it?

DiscusHeckel
08/30/2017, 06:23 AM
Hi everyone,

I have just posted some FAQs about Reef Actif in my tank thread. I think answers provided by Herr Balling are very useful:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25197508&postcount=1168

dartier
09/02/2017, 06:28 PM
I started using this on my frag tank to see if it had any effect on nutrients and coral health. As everyone else has mentioned, lots of polyp extension right after dosing, and I think more polyp extension days following. I am only using a 1/4 of a teaspoon full every 3 days.

I noticed other people mentioning markings on the spoon ... is their a spoon in the container? I am using my own as I did not see one.

Also I had to order it through Amazon, not easily found in Canada, and the item that arrived just before the end of August has a best before date of 8/17. Anyone know if this stuff actually goes bad?

I have to find a better local source for this.

Dennis

Pife
09/02/2017, 07:56 PM
Premium aquatics is the best price I found. There was a graduated spoon in my container.

illumnae
09/03/2017, 02:47 AM
There was a spoon in mine but it is unmarked

Alfrareef
09/03/2017, 02:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I have just posted some FAQs about Reef Actif in my tank thread. I think answers provided by Herr Balling are very useful:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25197508&postcount=1168

Yes, very useful.
Going to study a little more about it.

codydemmel4
09/15/2017, 10:41 AM
any updates from people using this?

illumnae
09/16/2017, 11:30 AM
I'm probably at about 6 weeks of dosing half the recommended dose (1/4 spoon 3x a week on my 180 gallon). Last week I experienced a growth spurt in my tank. I had my calcium reactor tuned to maintain my kh at about 7 when overnight it dropped to 6.1. I've since been tuning my calcium reactor and finally achieved stable kh again. I estimate I doubled the flow rate and bubble count to achieve the new equilibrium point. I have noticed colours in my SPS improve over the past 3 months. Most of my SPS are wild colonies and these tend to brown out when making the trip from the LFS to my tank. There's still lots of room for more improvement, but I think that there's barely any brown left in my tank.

There have been no changes to husbandry and I dose nothing but bottled bacteria and TM products (A-, K+, Bacto Balance, Reef Actif and Reef Mud Vital). I use Fauna Marin salt but will switch to TM Bio Activ salt once my last 2 pails of FM salt finish.

kainic
09/17/2017, 01:40 AM
I'm in my 6th week, dosing half the recommended dose (1/2 spoon) and I've seen an increase in my corals growth and polyp extension. No change in nitrates nor glass cleaning frequency.
I think it's a product that doesn't impact your reef in a way you would say "WOW" but it definetely has an impact on the general health of my tank.

codydemmel4
10/01/2017, 06:25 PM
I am thinking about starting this this week. I have had it for awhile but have not used it yet.

Do you guys think it is best to just dose half the amount once a week or split it up more and do like 1/4 twice a week?

illumnae
10/02/2017, 11:01 AM
After 2 months of dosing this at half strength, I am going to increase it to the full recommended weekly dose but divided over 3 times per week. Let's see if it brings any noticeable changes to my tank.

So far I like the direction my tank is headed but I can't attribute it to this product yet since I dose other TM products. I won't be changing any of my other product dosing amounts this time so let's see how it goes.

codydemmel4
10/02/2017, 01:36 PM
After 2 months of dosing this at half strength, I am going to increase it to the full recommended weekly dose but divided over 3 times per week. Let's see if it brings any noticeable changes to my tank.

So far I like the direction my tank is headed but I can't attribute it to this product yet since I dose other TM products. I won't be changing any of my other product dosing amounts this time so let's see how it goes.

I look forward to your results.

Do you mix it in with food or anything when you are dosing it into the tank or do you just mix it in with water when dosing?

Also what time of the day are you dosing?

Anyone else that is dosing it, how and when are you dosing too?

illumnae
10/06/2017, 12:46 AM
Nope I just mix it with tank water and pour into a high flow area. I dose it whenever during the day I remember - every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday