PDA

View Full Version : Info on corals

BlackburnD
08/11/2017, 05:25 AM
I am fairly learned about fish, but I know little about corals. Looking for some online sources to learn about the differences, needs, and types. I know softies, zoas, lps, sps are the general idea, but I want to know more about ease of keeping, flow needs, light needs, etc for when the time comes. I looked through stickies, but either I missed them or they are not there

Ron Reefman
08/11/2017, 10:01 AM
Go to Live Aquaria and in the description of most corals it will tell you about light, flow and ease of care.

I've found that corals in my aquariums are like plants in our yard, some do very well, some survive and look OK but don't grow much and others just die. And the corals that I tend to kill are the slower growers and if I can get them to settle in and survive for a month, then they tend to do OK after that. But in a very mixed reef tank, it can be quite hard to have success with all kinds of corals at the same time.

Tcox
08/11/2017, 07:14 PM
Lighting requirements and flow requirements can still differ quite a bit even in the same group of corals. As the last poster stated, live Aquaria is an excellent place to see the basics of care for the specific species. I would recommend starting with a soft coral as they are much more forgiving on requirements.

I have to say good job educating yourself before purchasing!

vikinglord13
08/11/2017, 09:33 PM
Look at various videos on youtube as well. I've found Tidal Gardens and The Coral Reef Talk are great for beginners in explaining how to take care of different types of corals.

BlackburnD
08/12/2017, 01:27 AM
I frequent liveaquaria. It feels like their info is kind of generic in a sense that each species gets the same description. I will check out some of that info on youtube. Thanks

billdogg
08/12/2017, 05:41 AM
I've found this link to be pretty helpful as well.

https://sites.google.com/a/asira.org/www2/caresheets

Ron Reefman
08/12/2017, 05:50 AM
billdogg, nice site! I've never seen that one. Thanks!