PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia? Or am I just paranoid and wait and see?

StoicWolf
08/11/2017, 11:05 AM
Long time lurker, fairly new member. Pretty new to marine tanks. Did fresh water tanks, including planted for years and finally in a position (not moving too frequently) to set up a marine tank. That said, just got a rock with some hairy mushrooms but I think it may have some unwelcome hitch hikers. I think they are a few aiptasia but I would like some other opinions prior to culling them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170811/d97f890147064f209441e6a654339c9a.jpg

Not the best photo, but limited by the angle. Other two are in even worse locations. If needed I can try to get a better picture with a real camera tonight. Also, it looked almost black under blue lights if that helps.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heathlindner25
08/11/2017, 11:24 AM
No need for a better pic, it's aptasia

StoicWolf
08/11/2017, 11:32 AM
No need for a better pic, it's aptasia

Thanks. Just as I dreaded. Good thing I ordered some Joe's Juice this morning. Hopefully it's here before multiplication starts. I've seen that one, another one about that size and a really tiny one.

Scott239Florida
08/11/2017, 11:48 AM
Hello, I just had 100% success in removing the worst case of adult aptasia I've ever seen (over 100 in under 50 gallons) with 8 peppermint shrimp. It was a system I purchased up and running, and decided to try to save the rock without having to bake, bomb, cook, shoot it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

StoicWolf
08/11/2017, 11:52 AM
Hello, I just had 100% success in removing the worst case of adult aptasia I've ever seen (over 100 in under 50 gallons) with 8 peppermint shrimp. It was a system I purchased up and running, and decided to try to save the rock without having to bake, bomb, cook, shoot it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Peppermint shrimp are the back up plan if Joe's Juice fails or I can't keep up. Not excited about it though-since they're known to much on some corals at times. And I live in a fairly remote area with exactly one small pet store that carries marine fish and they rarely have any shrimp.

johnike
08/12/2017, 06:50 AM
Sure is.
Kill em!

Sk8r
08/12/2017, 08:11 AM
A few aiptasia pose no danger unless your tank has nutrients enough to let them become a pest.

StoicWolf
08/12/2017, 10:11 AM
A few aiptasia pose no danger unless your tank has nutrients enough to let them become a pest.

It doesn't even have fish yet, just a couple corals and a handful of snails-water is nice and clean, just not a gamble I want to take if I need to take a sudden trip. Wife doesn't have the same care regiment as I do when I'm out of town.

Sk8r
08/12/2017, 11:47 AM
Mmm, when you do have to go out of town, 2 things will save you: an ATO (autotopoff) and an Eheim autofeeder. Flake food may not be the most appetizing, but it gets the job done better than a pity-feed of begging fish or somebody forgetting the tank for a week.

StoicWolf
08/13/2017, 01:16 AM
Mmm, when you do have to go out of town, 2 things will save you: an ATO (autotopoff) and an Eheim autofeeder. Flake food may not be the most appetizing, but it gets the job done better than a pity-feed of begging fish or somebody forgetting the tank for a week.

Definitely something to get for vacations (had an auto feeder on a large fresh planted system a couple years ago and it was great). Luckily for now though my wonderful wife at least is good about feeding, top offs and any additives that might be needed. She'll empty the skimmer too but doesn't like it. Avoids water changes like the plaque though.