PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead plug

BigT75
08/11/2017, 05:01 PM
Ok here's my issue on my 75g talk the tank is drilled and over flow that's already in use has been re silicone on many times and acrylic n glass don't mix anyways I upgraded to the eshopps M eclipse overflow and where the hole for that one is about 1.5" lower than what's there so I can move the overflow over no issue there I have room it's plugging that hole I was thinking useing a plug of some sort in the bulkhead will this work ?? Or any ideas it's a ViZio glass tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
08/11/2017, 05:28 PM
This works check out my build thread i did this on my sump, scroll to recent posts

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
08/11/2017, 05:31 PM
Here ya go, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25157840

BigT75
08/11/2017, 05:31 PM
What's the title ?

Clowning_Around
08/11/2017, 05:33 PM
Another option is to simply adhere another piece of glass over the hole or weld acrylic if acrylic tank

BigT75
08/11/2017, 05:42 PM
So what could I attack another piece of glass with ? That would hold my glass is pretty thick close to 1/2 "

BigT75
08/11/2017, 05:43 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170811/ec495c67a8d8b124ca8480e6bb4c7486.jpg this is what's there

And installing this https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170811/f3af9a2f0ba75388775290ed9a58cd94.jpg

on the spot
08/11/2017, 06:25 PM
...the hole is about 1.5" lower...I was thinking of using a plug of some sort in the bulkhead will this work?

it's a ViZio glass tank

Another option is to simply adhere another piece of glass over the hole

So what could I attack another piece of glass with?

If the bulkhead doesn't bother you yes a plug will work fine. better hardware or plumbing specific vendors should have what you want. You might even get lucky @ Lowes.

A piece of glass over the hole with silicone will also work fine.

Clowning_Around
08/11/2017, 06:31 PM
Well you can cut a bulkhead thread even with the nut like i did and use a pvc insert plug on the tank side, but thats rather sightly for a display tank. If you remove whats there leaving just a hole and cleanup the surrounding area you can apply a piece of 1/4 glass (face to tank face) say 3.5"3.5" in size. Then silicone the perimeter. Glass to glass silicone is strong, so no worries there. In the inside you could use a hole saw to cut an insert disk from some scrap glass to get a disc and place it in the same plane as the tank wall putting a thin bead in the perimeter crevice, this piece would be just to dress the inside of the tank/cosmetic, the plate glass on the rear is your waterproof patch. It wont look like new but it wont be to bad either imo. Does that make sense to you?

Clowning_Around
08/11/2017, 06:33 PM
Here is a pic of the patch from a quick google, not the best job and its missing the insert i mentiined but hopefully you get the idea https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachments/100_1604-jpg.519107/

Lsufan
08/12/2017, 04:21 PM
A pvc plug will work fine but u will need to glue it into the bulkhead. Any of the big box stores will carry one. It won't look to good looking through the tank though.

Why don't u just use that bulkhead for a return. U will have to redo some plumbing but u will be doing that anyways.

BigT75
08/12/2017, 07:24 PM
A pvc plug will work fine but u will need to glue it into the bulkhead. Any of the big box stores will carry one. It won't look to good looking through the tank though.

Why don't u just use that bulkhead for a return. U will have to redo some plumbing but u will be doing that anyways.

Is this possible ? My return is on opposite side (just a PVC pipe) from sump ? Also ATM the return and overflow matches sump would it. E a issue running the return line over from right side to left ?

Lsufan
08/12/2017, 08:29 PM
I don't know why it wouldn't be. It looks like the hole is drilled high enough to where u should be able to set it up to where u don't get a hole lot more water that drains to the sump when u turn the return pump off. That is the only downside of using the bulkhead as the return, u would get a little more backflow to the sump when the return pump gets turned off.

Do u have any extra room in the sump how it is setup now for a little more backflow?
what size bulkhead is it?
Do I plan on using a herbie drain setup with the new overflow or a durso?

It looks like your return goes over the back of the tank. U could eighther get rid of the existing one & use the bulkhead as the return or u could add a tee & have the return split to enter the tank in 2 places.

If your return pump is sized for your system to where u don't have it valves back & u don't want to lose any flow. U can get over to the bulkhead by only using 1- 45 fitting. U would actually be getting rid of a 90 because u wouldn't need 2- 90's back to back to get over the rim of the tank like u have now. So if u plumb it right u would have around the same amount of flow more then likely