PDA

View Full Version : Sold as pair...maybe not?

barrett.oliver
08/11/2017, 09:01 PM
I'm kinda wondering about clown pairs; as a pair, are they more often than not inseparable?

I find there are extended periods where they don't swim "all up on each other", but then other times no issues with clown bumpin' and grindin'. They were sold to me as "Mocha Clowns" if that means anything to anyone?

There doesn't seem to be any aggression at all, just wondering if a "paired" couple of clowns is supposed to be together always?

Doge
08/11/2017, 09:37 PM
Nope. Atleast mine arent. Sometimes my bigger one decides she wants to go to the middle of the tank while the smaller one chills in the anenome. Other times the smaller one follows the bigger one to the middle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

slyseekr
08/11/2017, 10:29 PM
My pair probably spend the vast majority within eye shot of the each other, in the same general area of the tank, but rarely side by side. They even take ownership of different anemones on the same rock, though the male will usually come over and sleep next to the female's anemone in the evening.

They do feed together, and the male does the majority of the defense of the female and her anemone when my hand is in the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

barrett.oliver
09/02/2017, 08:33 PM
So...quick update; now that it's been a couple weeks things have changed a bit drastically.

Now the bigger one (female?) is really picking on the little one. He spends much of his time allowing the intake to suck him to the side and stay still.

With that said, he's still strong (to a point) but also seems like he's being as submissive as it gets without turning over and dying.

He looks really healthy, swims just fine, but seems almost dejected at being anywhere other than somewhat hiding from the clown picking on him.

Thoughts anyone; should I let it go on a bit longer, should I take him back to the LFS?

I love the fish, but I don't want a dead one because I don't know any better.