PDA

View Full Version : Euphyllia disease ??

bdturtle21
08/12/2017, 11:39 AM
I've been having an issue with my euphyllia the past few months that I can't figure out.
Tank background: I have a 55gal DT with 30gal sump/fuge that has been set up for about 3 years now. Parameters are stable:
Nitrates - <5ppm
Nitrites and Ammonia - 0
Phosphate - 0
Alk - 8.5
Ca - 480-500
Sal - 1.025

I've had great success with Euphyllia the past 2-3 years and have several - frogspawn, green torch, two Aussie torches, pink hammer, green hammer. The other corals in the tank are also doing well (some SPS, Duncan, goniporas, plate, zoathnids, etc).

About 3 months ago my green torch got knocked over and landed on some palys - a few heads had pretty rapid tissue necrosis, but I assumed this was due to landing on the palys. I dipped and fragged - and it seemed to do better for a week or so before the disease progressed to other heads. I dipped and fragged again and moved to another tank (20gal nano) and it seems to be recovering slowly.

The disease doesn't look like brown jelly - it is more a wasting/necrosis of the tissue that starts around the mouth/center of each head and then rapidly progresses out over the period of 2-3 days. No brown jelly - just tissue wasting/loss.

I hoped this would stop w/ my green torch, but one of my Aussie torches is now losing tissue rapidly - this started w/ the coral looking deflated and flat, and has rapidly progressed over the past 48 hours to the center of the coral being 'wasted', and the outer edges looking ok.

Anyone have any suggestions? Should I try dipping, or is it a lost cause with this coral?

I'll try and snap some pics in a bit when the lights get a bit brighter.

My biggest concern now is if this spreads to my other Euphyllias - should I remove them all and let this tank to "fallow" from euphyllias for a bit? I have one big Aussie torch that is a really beautiful coral - I'd hate for it to get sick...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or thoughts on this!! Even knowing what it is would be a huge help...

Kremis
08/13/2017, 01:08 PM
mag?