PDA

View Full Version : Guidance for proactive disease treatment for new fish

LuizW13
08/12/2017, 12:15 PM
Hello everyone,

I've recently received my first fish Tuesday morning currently in my qt tank. I've read that people will often treat for diseases even if there are no symptoms- i would like to do the same.

The Chalk Bass i received seems very healthy; started eating right away. I noticed a white stringy thread coming out of anus when i first got the fish; i figured it's not too alarming since the fish had been without food for about 24 hours, so maybe there wasn't anything to "poop" out. I also noticed the fish would sometimes swim up against the tank.

It's been about 5 days and I have not seen anymore stringy threads or scratching. The fish started to eat immediately- i feed 2x a day. Over all the fish looks really healthy. But i want to medicate just too be sure.

I have Ich-X and Prazipro. The reason for this thread is because the directions say to not mix medications. The directions say i should use it before Ich-x, it also says "A single treatment lasting 5-7 days is normally sufficient." That means i put in the recommended dose, and let it be for 5-7 days? Then do a large water change and start Ich-x? I should keep a close eye on the water level to make sure evaporation doesn't increase the concentration of the medication, right?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

jerrypam5855
08/13/2017, 07:43 AM
This is what I do. With Prazi you will want to make sure you have a airstone running in the tank.Prazi is known to deplete oxygen. 1st dose I run for 5 days do a partial water change and redose Prazi and let it run for 7 days. By then it will be inactive. The reason I run it this way is to make sure I get any eggs that haven't hatched out.
Then I keep the fish in the QT for a total of 90 days. Some people do less that's just what works for me. I don't add any other meds unless he comes down with something. Good luck with your bass.

JustinM
08/13/2017, 07:56 AM
White, string poop is an intestinal infection. It needs treated or it could end up killing him.

You will need to use metroplex and focus to bind the medication to frozen food, or whatever food you choose to use.

If you have any questions with the dosage, just let me know.

LuizW13
08/13/2017, 12:52 PM
White, string poop is an intestinal infection. It needs treated or it could end up killing him.

You will need to use metroplex and focus to bind the medication to frozen food, or whatever food you choose to use.

If you have any questions with the dosage, just let me know.

That only happened once, at least i've only seen it once. So, metroplex, i'll go look into that.

LuizW13
08/13/2017, 03:01 PM
This is what I do. With Prazi you will want to make sure you have a airstone running in the tank.Prazi is known to deplete oxygen. 1st dose I run for 5 days do a partial water change and redose Prazi and let it run for 7 days. By then it will be inactive. The reason I run it this way is to make sure I get any eggs that haven't hatched out.
Then I keep the fish in the QT for a total of 90 days. Some people do less that's just what works for me. I don't add any other meds unless he comes down with something. Good luck with your bass.

Thanks for the tip! Just medicated the qt with Prazipro a little while ago!