PDA

View Full Version : Flame angel trio question

pfan151
08/12/2017, 01:16 PM
Just acquired 3 Hawaiian flames. All are only about an inch. I assumed that there would not much of an issue with them forming a group at that size but one was getting pretty shredded. At first it seemed to be just some fin nipping but now looking closer the bullied one has quite a few scales missing. Should I keep them together and let them ride it out or separate the bullied one?

Robert Hoeck
08/12/2017, 02:45 PM
Since one is getting "shredded", I'd separate asap.

albano
08/12/2017, 03:07 PM
Just acquired 3 Hawaiian flames. All are only about an inch.

are these captive bred?

LargeAngels
08/12/2017, 03:35 PM
IME they are very aggressive at that size. I highly suggest separating them.

pfan151
08/12/2017, 03:41 PM
are these captive bred?

Not totally sure. The person I bought them from said wild caught but he is checking with his source to know for sure.

pfan151
08/12/2017, 03:45 PM
I separated the one that was being picked on. I'm wondering if it may be better to separate the aggressor though to let the other two settle in and keep the aggressor from claiming the territory. Right now they are in a 40 breeder with a good amount of rockwork. I'm hoping to move them to my 90g after a few months of quarantine.

albano
08/12/2017, 04:22 PM
Not totally sure. The person I bought them from said wild caught but he is checking with his source to know for sure.

Unless they were 'expensive', I doubt that they are Hawaiian... probably Marshall Island imported thru Hawaii

pfan151
08/12/2017, 04:30 PM
Unless they were 'expensive', I doubt that they are Hawaiian... probably Marshall Island imported thru Hawaii

They were definitely expensive. I have no doubt they are Hawaiian. Came from a reputable source. Bought from Among the Reef who aquired them from Rufus.

albano
08/12/2017, 04:40 PM
They were definitely expensive. I have no doubt they are Hawaiian. Came from a reputable source. Bought from Among the Reef who aquired them from Rufus.

Great, nice 'catch'... Humaguy has the true Hawaiian CB flame angels, you should check out his thread and possibly ask his advice

pfan151
08/12/2017, 06:06 PM
The two that I left together seem to be acting as a pair now. Swimming together with one clearly being submissive. Not sure if I should just go with those two as a pair or try to make a trio again in a week or so.

Robert Hoeck
08/12/2017, 06:52 PM
Do you have an isolation container you can add the other one and watch for aggression? I'd seen somewhere that striping is different between sexes. Not sure if evident in juveniles? Good luck!

pfan151
08/12/2017, 06:57 PM
Do you have an isolation container you can add the other one and watch for aggression? I'd seen somewhere that striping is different between sexes. Not sure if evident in juveniles? Good luck!

I have the aggressor in a large fish trap now. I thought with flames this small they would still not have become male. Hopefully after a week in the trap it will settle down. Among the reef kept them together for about a week before they were shipped and there weren't any major problems so it might work itself out.

Donreefer
08/15/2017, 04:28 AM
the guy that sold these to you should know better than to sell a trio of centropyge, they always fight, sounds like he either is inexperienced or was trying to push a sale, you got pics of them. Hawaiian Flame are distinctive in color and body pattern.

albano
08/15/2017, 05:59 AM
the guy that sold these to you should know better than to sell a trio of centropyge, they always fight, sounds like he either is inexperienced or was trying to push a sale, you got pics of them. Hawaiian Flame are distinctive in color and body pattern.

I've kept a trio of flame angels for many years, also in the tank were a pair of Multifasciatus and a Coral Beauty... I think that Humaguy has 5 of the CB Hawaiian Flames in his tanks, along with some other dwarf Angels.

pfan151
08/15/2017, 06:19 AM
Yea, trios are definitely possible.

humaguy
08/15/2017, 10:41 AM
Hey bud,

Sorry for the delay.
Killer score, anything from Rufus et al is killer, so congrats on that!
What size tank are they in and what else is in the tank?

My 6 are CB, were tiny, and totally without color when I got them just about 1 year ago.
Things that may help: Miles, lol, of pvc pieces, keep lights off and only use moon lights during the day, feed lots of smaller meals throughout the day, and, if one is clearly male, remove or isolate him and let the females get comfy and then rerelease the male, but I would wait a few weeks to do that. I would take out the aggressor as you mentioned above, not the one getting picked on.

Good luck!

TK

humaguy
08/15/2017, 11:18 AM
This is from last January.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MgCl9txPlEI?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pfan151
08/15/2017, 12:44 PM
I have them in a 40 breeder going through hyposalinity as a qt with a pretty good pile of rock in there. They are all about 1" give or take maybe an 8th of an inch. One has darker, more broad bands, but he was one actually getting picked on intially. Right now that one and the one that is slightly smaller than the others (bands are very faint on this one) are together and I have the aggressor in a large fish trap. The two are doing fine together. Planning to trying to realease the third back in about a week. Bands are kind of in the middle on the aggressive one. More well defined than the smallest but much lighter than the other. I assume 1" is too small for them to have a sex determined? If they keep fighting after I reintroduce them next week I may just sell the third and be happy with a pair. I'll try to get decent some pics when I get home.

pfan151
08/15/2017, 04:32 PM
This is the best I could do. I released the one that I had in the trap. Was curious to see what would happen and I figured I could move it back easily if needed. So far it seems to be going well
Widest bands
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170815/59e00387deee5bb4dfdfddcdcc87e6e5.jpg
The aggressive one
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170815/1dcd4bb011434611a2c1e0b3166936c0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170815/0cf2c93cd66ce52ade8cc580890e71f5.jpg

Was really tough to get a pic of the one with bands just coming in. Doesn't help that the glass is filthy I guess.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170815/fe8483c4120ff388708d9dd78ff487b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk