PDA

View Full Version : Sump and baffles

fishkeeprian
08/13/2017, 03:25 AM
Do I really need to put baffles in my sump? Or can I just put all my equipment in and section off with some egg crate for a refug?

Thanks

mcgyvr
08/13/2017, 06:35 AM
You don't need baffles but..

how will you setup your ATO system properly?
Without baffles to create a smaller return pump section where you place the sensor the amount of water volume lost before the water level sensor triggers is much larger causing a greater swing in salinity..

Thats really the biggest reason for baffles IMO..
Microbubbles can be another but thats many times not an issue depending on the drain system you have and how your skimmer does

billdogg
08/13/2017, 07:55 AM
Another issue will be skimmer selection. If you plan on putting your skimmer in the sump, it will need to be at a very constant level for it perform the way it should. That is easily done by creating an area with a constant level using a baffle or two. You can also stop any micro bubbles from the skimmer from getting to the return pump that way.

Depending on the size of the sump a couple $10 pieces of 1/4" glass from a local glass shop (assuming glass sump) and you are set.

fishkeeprian
08/13/2017, 07:56 AM
You don't need baffles but..

how will you setup your ATO system properly?
Without baffles to create a smaller return pump section where you place the sensor the amount of water volume lost before the water level sensor triggers is much larger causing a greater swing in salinity..

Thats really the biggest reason for baffles IMO..
Microbubbles can be another but thats many times not an issue depending on the drain system you have and how your skimmer does

So is it possible just to have one baffle for the return?

fishkeeprian
08/13/2017, 08:06 AM
Another issue will be skimmer selection. If you plan on putting your skimmer in the sump, it will need to be at a very constant level for it perform the way it should. That is easily done by creating an area with a constant level using a baffle or two. You can also stop any micro bubbles from the skimmer from getting to the return pump that way.

Depending on the size of the sump a couple $10 pieces of 1/4" glass from a local glass shop (assuming glass sump) and you are set.

I want the water to go into filter sock and have the skimmer in the same location. Then refuge then return where would the baffles best put?

mcgyvr
08/13/2017, 11:51 AM
So is it possible just to have one baffle for the return?

certainly is..
that solves the ATO and skimmer issues..
return section will be smaller/ato works well.. other section will remain constant level for skimmer..

homer1475
08/13/2017, 11:57 AM
I have 3 baffles in my sump that is similarly setup the way you want yours.

First section is my socks, skimmer, reactor pump, and my ATS pump. This baffle is set so no matter how little water comes from the tank, that level is constant. Next section is my refugium. This section has 2 smaller baffles as over/under baffles that stop microbubbles and keeps my return section a constant level.

You can do one without baffles, but its better to at least have 2. One to keep your skimmer section a constant level(skimmers work best when kept in a constant level), and the other to keep your return section small so an ATO keeps that level constant and with very little salinity swings.

billdogg
08/13/2017, 12:35 PM
What size is your sump? That, too, will help determine the number and placement of any baffles

fishkeeprian
08/13/2017, 03:30 PM
What size is your sump? That, too, will help determine the number and placement of any baffles

It is around 2ft long will hold around 65l of water.

Ron Reefman
08/14/2017, 05:31 AM
It should work Ian. I'm building a new sump for my system. It's bigger, 65g, but I only have 3 baffles. One between the socks & the refugium,the 2nd between the fuge and the skimmer, and the 3rd between the skimmer and the return pump. I could probably do away with 2 of them if I wanted to.