PDA

View Full Version : Which wireless camera do you use?

Janice12
08/13/2017, 08:10 AM
I've seen the icecap version has iffy reviews. I'd need a good wireless cam from viewing the tank while I'm away. Which cams are preferable?

slief
08/13/2017, 08:39 AM
I have a few Foscam 9826P's which I really like. They have full pan/tilt/zoom and night vision capabilities. You can view them via their cloud service. I use port forwarding and DynDns for mine and have them integrated into my Apex Fusion and MyGHL interfaces as well. I have them positioned around 3 sides of my tank as well as Foscam 9815 (also P/T/Z) under the tank that is normally aimed at my skimmer but an be rotated to see my pump controllers or anything else under my tank. I travel a fair amount so having them gives me peace of mind and allows me to check in on my main display, display fuge, frag tank, sumps etc from my phone, tablet, computer etc.

Personally, I like the quality of OWLR Foscam and Amcrest. Both offer great PTZ cams with great resolution.

Here is a screen shot from the Foscam app. My tank is a large peninsula so I've got 3 sides covered including my fish room. The 5th camera in the lower right corner is a spare 9815 that isn't plugged in right now. I might move that to my life support shed outside or elsewhere in the house.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/IMG_3526_zpse7zqcqjh.png

Janice12
08/13/2017, 08:46 AM
Awesome, thank you very much! I was thinking something with zoom, pan and a cloud service would be best. Just wasn't sure where to start looking.

slief
08/13/2017, 08:50 AM
Awesome, thank you very much! I was thinking something with zoom, pan and a cloud service would be best. Just wasn't sure where to start looking.

I picked up couple up off eBay pretty cheap and a couple others from Amazon. The first ones came from Amazon to insure that I could return them if I wasn't happy. I liked them so much that I bought a few more on eBay.

tlc
08/13/2017, 03:16 PM
i have a foscam and always have problems logging in on my phone app. it rarely lets me logon. i am looking for a web cam replacement that has a descent app

slief
08/13/2017, 03:24 PM
i have a foscam and always have problems logging in on my phone app. it rarely lets me logon. i am looking for a web cam replacement that has a descent app

Are you using the OWLR app? I never have issues logging into my Foscam cameras regardless of whether I am on Wifi or cellular internet.

ericarenee
08/13/2017, 03:36 PM
we also use foscams for our home security system . i do not have any aimed at my tank thou. The cams connect wireless and some wired to our Synology Disk station that backs up automatically to a online storage.

tlc
08/13/2017, 09:25 PM
i tried the owl app. it worked a little better then the fosdam app. i might be able to get online 1 out of 10 times

slief
08/13/2017, 09:31 PM
i tried the owl app. it worked a little better then the fosdam app. i might be able to get online 1 out of 10 times

Sounds like you have other issues going on that have nothing to do with the camera. Either networking, port forwarding or poor wireless connectivity. If you are not using a wired connection to your network, you might consider ordering a wireless gateway or repeater from Amazon and giving that a try. Place it closer to the cam, connect to it instead of your normal wifi connection and see if that improves stability. You can always return it if things don't improve but I can assure you the issue isn't the cam. If you are connected via wireless, try using an ethernet cable to connect it to you network and see if that improves things. I am betting it will.

As I noted above, I have 4 connected to my network and never have an issue connecting. Ever. I do however have very good Wifi strength around my house. There are all kinds of things around the house that can cause Wifi interference.

soulpatch
08/14/2017, 10:11 AM
I like my amcrest camera. I think Foscam and Amcrest are the same only sold under different names but features, looks, packaging, and price all seem to be exactly the same save for name.

It has saved my behind on numerous instances while down at the beach house to either have a friend rush to the house OR to check in on an alert from my Apex.

FullBoreReefer
08/14/2017, 10:21 AM
Two iPhone 4's for me, they might not be the nicest things to sit on an end table, but cheap and works like a charm.

nycman
08/15/2017, 07:28 PM
EZ VIZ Mini Plus

FirstContact
08/15/2017, 08:20 PM
I recently picked up the Autoaqua webcam and feeder. The camera works like a a charm. Haven't tried out the auto feeder yet, but I chose it for being able to feed small amounts of food. The Apex feeder dumped too many pellets for me on the smallest settings, and I didn't want to mess with scotch tape to trouble shoot.

Unlike other companies that claim easy set up, Autoaqua webcam set up was a breeze and everything worked perfectly. No connection or set up issues.

I was also thinking of getting a Nest outdoor camera for the entire fish room around Black Friday. Best Buy had them on sale earlier this year and I bet the sale price is better in November. Now, I'll be able to have conversations and video at the same time when my son is taking care of my tank, and my wife and I are on vacation!

ericarenee
08/15/2017, 08:45 PM

when i want to access mine directly . I use No-ip and a Registered domain name

Tinycam app for android has been the best one i have found. For windows i use edge browser and just type the url ... Be careful thou you have to open ports and doing this wrong will put your network at risk.

ggenung
08/16/2017, 02:38 PM
I use an iphone with my iPad. Works really well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ccasa004
08/17/2017, 04:04 AM
I use arlo. I set them up after an attempted breakin. No messing with port forwarding or anything like that. Also they are wireless including power. So I just need to charge the batteries about once a month. They have one that plugs in also.

SycoCell
08/17/2017, 04:25 AM
I had 4 Foscams around my house at one point...They were super finicky for logging in. After about 3 months, they finally quit letting me log in and use them. I have since bought a ton of these "YI HOME" cameras off of Amazon. They are rock solid and extremely affordable. I wouldn't get anything else.

epstein
08/17/2017, 11:23 AM
I use Dlink and the D link viewer. Super easy to set up and access remotely is flawless.