PDA

View Full Version : Biopellets

sbazain
08/13/2017, 10:43 PM
It's been 26 days since I added the biopellet reactor no changes on nitrates does it take longer for bacteria to grow or maybe is to little biopellets or could it be to much tumbling I strted with 25% on a 150 gallon with 80 and above of nitrates some times I get a reading of 40 but then goes back to 80 corals are doing fine so are the fish the only ones not opening completely are the hammers:uhoh3:

gprdypoo04
08/13/2017, 11:33 PM
I've been on pellets for 5 weeks now and not showing any reduction either. It could take quite sometime if at all. I could still add more but I think I'm going to stay where I am for awhile, better to go slow.
Got some aquaforest products coming to give me some other combinations to try but I'm not giving up on the pellets.

sbazain
08/14/2017, 10:53 AM
Well all I've heard are good stuff from pellets they say it takes a while but once they kick in they do the job guess will keep waiting am not helping either with bacteria am living it alone to do it on its own

GimpyFin
08/14/2017, 11:28 AM
It can take several weeks for enough bacteria to colonize on the pellets and start to consume them with the excess nutrients. Not sure what reactor you are using, but the pellets should gently tumble in a fluid motion and not blow around violently as they will be less effective. Also, the type of pellets can make a significant difference. Many of the generic/rebranded bio pellets aren't that great, IMO. What kind are you using?

nogascans
08/14/2017, 12:16 PM
When I restock my BP reactor, I always make sure to reuse some of the old pellets and also use the Fritz product below to help re-seed the reactor.

https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Aquatics-Fritzzyme-9-Saltwater-Nitrifying/dp/B0002DGK8G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502730857&sr=8-2&keywords=fritz+aquatics

Sincerely,

David

bertoni
08/14/2017, 04:24 PM
Have you checked the phosphate level? In some cases, tanks seem to have too little phosphate to drive much growth on the pellets, or at least, that's one hypothesis.