PDA

View Full Version : first intro of fish - all died in a one year established tank

mereplato
08/14/2017, 01:04 AM
Hello,
I have had a 10 gallon tank with live plants and two snails for one year. I just decided to add fish. I bought 5 male guppies from Petsmart and put them in together since I didn't have another tank to put some in while adding two at a time. In 6 days, all five have died, but the plants and snails are fine.

I just took the water readings for the first time at home (usually I take a sample to Petsmart) and I think they are
Carbonate 360
Total alkalinity 180-240
pH 6.8-7.2
General Hardness 50
Free Chlorine 0
Nitrate 25
Nitrite 1-5

The above water test was from JNW Direct Aquarium Test Strips.

I have a Top Fin filter which I just changed a few days ago (change monthly). I have a marineland hood with day lights and blue night lights. I usually have 12 hours of day lights and 12 hours of night lights. I clean the gravel and change about 25% water once a week. I was going to do that tomorrow since I did it the day before I got the fish. So I did not do a water change since I had the fish, but I did change the filter since I had the fish.

Nomdeguerre
08/14/2017, 01:10 AM
The nitrite reading is too high, it should read zero.
Did you test for ammonia?

I would think that even though you have had the tank running for a year, your biological filter would not of been sufficient to support 5 fish as it has only had to support 1 snail.

The fish will of produced ammonia and suffered ammonia burns and stress. This is why you are seeing nitrite.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk

Nomdeguerre
08/14/2017, 01:12 AM
Sorry, meant to say:
The fish will of produced ammonia and suffered ammonia burns and stress. Your biological filter couldn't keep up with the ammonia and this is why you are seeing nitrite.

Nomdeguerre
08/14/2017, 01:14 AM
You might also receive some better information on a fresh water forum as this is a marine and reef forum. I'm sure there is some members who have experience with both but it might be more apt to join the relevant forum.

praveen956
08/14/2017, 06:18 AM
Get the water tested on a nearby petsmart. They do free water test.. nitrate :25 is really not a concern in a freshwater tank.. but the nitrites are dangerous. Did you test for ammonia?! Petsmart will do it for you.. im guessing ammonia would have killed the fish.. since your tank is very small, add life stock slowly so that the biological filtration can have enough bacteria to sustain it.. sorry for your loss ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
08/14/2017, 06:25 AM
You might also receive some better information on a fresh water forum as this is a marine and reef forum. I'm sure there is some members who have experience with both but it might be more apt to join the relevant forum.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using TapatalkJust in case you are not aware, marine is in reference to saltwater as opposed to a general term for aquatics.

I agree with above, your system likely spiked ammonia and thats what did your fish in.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk