PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinion

flgoose
08/14/2017, 11:01 AM
Found a used 140 gal tank for sale. The tank was used for reptiles. Owner claims there are no scratches and the seal is in good shape. He wants 200 for it. My question is, will it be ok for reef? Do i have to worry about residues, soap usage or anything else?

mcgyvr
08/14/2017, 11:14 AM
Provided its not leaking and all seals are in good shape it should be just fine after a little cleaning (soap/water.. then vinegar/water solution,etc..)
Not a bad price really..

If you plan on drilling for overflows make sure its not tempered in the panes you want to drill..

fishgate
08/14/2017, 11:49 AM
I've read that once a tank houses reptiles it should not be used for fish anymore.

Fredfish
08/14/2017, 02:53 PM
Tanks built specifically for reptiles do not have thick enough glass to hold their volume in water. Make sure it is specifically an aquarium.

Check what the appropriate glass thickness is for that size tank and measure the tank thickness to make sure.

JZinCO
08/14/2017, 03:34 PM
Terrariums have thinner panes. Measure the thickness and compare against typical aquarium glass. e.g. https://www.customaquariums.com/glass-aquariums/all-aquarium-standard-sizes.html
I'd really check about its seaworthiness however. Often aquariums become reptile tanks because they need a reseal.

Some rumor exists about reptilian oils being secreted, but I wouldn't hesitate to use after a deep clean.