PDA

View Full Version : McCoskers Flasher wrasses

mfinn
08/14/2017, 05:47 PM
I was thinking about adding 3 small female McCosker Flasher wrasses to my 240.
This will be my first attempt at flasher wrasses.

May want to try others in the future too.

Half Vaped
08/14/2017, 08:02 PM
What source do you have for female Flasher Wrasses? I rarely ever see females of any flasher available (other than maybe Eight-line Flashers, available seasonally). I once ordered a trio of female Blue Flashers from Live Aquaria and I got three males instead.

If you can get some confirmed female Flashers, then go for it, but I would personally rather go with a few males of different species. If I were to attempt a trio of Wrasses, I would go with Hawaiian Flame Fairies or Leopards.

mfinn
08/14/2017, 08:06 PM
What source do you have for female Flasher Wrasses? I rarely ever see females of any flasher available (other than maybe Eight-line Flashers, available seasonally). I once ordered a trio of female Blue Flashers from Live Aquaria and I got three males instead.

If you can get some confirmed female Flashers, then go for it, but I would personally rather go with a few males of different species. If I were to attempt a trio of Wrasses, I would go with Hawaiian Flame Fairies or Leopards.

Liveaquaria.
It said small juvi/female

Half Vaped
08/14/2017, 08:19 PM
Liveaquaria.
It said small juvi/female

Ahh, hopefully they really are females. If not, Live Aquaria should be able to give you a refund if you get males instead. Great company to deal with. Good luck.

MuShu
08/14/2017, 08:20 PM
I have a trio of male McCosker's in my 55 and mine get along fine. They were all the same size when I got them and they all went into the tank together. One is definitely more dominant but he's not a bully- he's bigger, and has better color as well.

mfinn
08/14/2017, 08:25 PM
I have a trio of male McCosker's in my 55 and mine get along fine. They were all the same size when I got them and they all went into the tank together. One is definitely more dominant but he's not a bully- he's bigger, and has better color as well.

How long have you had them?
Has the dominant one turned male?

Have they changed at all?

MuShu
08/15/2017, 07:52 PM
4 months? All mine are male- my LFS said that it's really difficult to get females, so I got what I could get. Sorry I wasn't clear about that in my post.

mfinn
08/15/2017, 08:16 PM
4 months? All mine are male- my LFS said that it's really difficult to get females, so I got what I could get. Sorry I wasn't clear about that in my post.

NP.
Thanks for responding.

Got pics?

mfinn
08/15/2017, 08:40 PM
Ahh, hopefully they really are females. If not, Live Aquaria should be able to give you a refund if you get males instead. Great company to deal with. Good luck.

This is what led me to believe I was getting females.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/WOIdji.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmWOIdjij)

The top ones say juvi/females, the the size is small.
Below there are subadult/males, also small.

But like you said ( and others elsewhere) probably not.

Hawaiian Flame Fairies are on a bucket list.

I have leopards now, and getting them to behave can be difficult.
I've added multiples of meleagris and bipartitus and now both down to one each.
I placed a ornate in a acclimation box a few days ago and after 2 days it was apparent the ornate was not going to be welcomed, so was planning on moving it back to the quarantine tank, but somehow it escaped during the night.
I saw it around for 2 days and at times it was being bullied and at other times it wasn't.
On the 3rd and 4th day I didn't see it at all.

tommyhere777
08/15/2017, 08:44 PM
Sweet fish

MuShu
08/15/2017, 09:13 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/84b2e8a0067cf338f12c2874b48ead74.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/57323e38c5a843333c257dc2a0a43477.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hogfanreefer
08/15/2017, 10:33 PM
Why not get males from three different species? All three will likely eventually be males and though they might be ok in a big tank like that they might not.

I've got a McCosker's and a Linespot right now and plan to add a P. flavianalis, P. attenuatus and maybe an 8 line flasher as a last addition. That way you get the competition/flashing and more variety in color.

mfinn
08/16/2017, 06:52 PM

This is what they sent.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/BuHBQF.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poBuHBQFj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/489kpX.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/po489kpXj)

hogfanreefer
08/16/2017, 10:31 PM
LOL. Something is up with the wrasse guy at LA. I ordered a Vrolik's wrasse a few weeks ago and got a straight up melanurus. They actually gave me some grief initially till someone who knew what they were talking about looked at the picture I sent them.

Interesting to see how this turns out. Hope all three play nice for you!

Half Vaped
08/17/2017, 01:08 AM
This is what they sent.

Congratulations, that's a gorgeous trio of males! At least you can get a refund for at least two, maybe even all three of them. How are they getting along?

mfinn
08/17/2017, 09:38 AM
Congratulations, that's a gorgeous trio of males! At least you can get a refund for at least two, maybe even all three of them. How are they getting along?

They came in yesterday morning at 10:30 and were stressed from shipping, as expected.
But by the late afternoon they were out and swimming around which surprised me.
Just after they were put in the quarantine tank, I added a container of Algagen apocyclops pods for something to pick at, which they did fairly soon.
A couple hours later I added a small amount nutramar ova, which they liked.

The lights just came on and I see 2 of them out, and there is a small amount of posturing so they may have to be separated soon.

mfinn
08/17/2017, 09:40 AM
At least you can get a refund for at least two, maybe even all three of them.

The customer service guy I spoke with at LA offered to re-ship. I told him that I didn't need 3 more males.
So I opted for credit on file.

evolved
08/17/2017, 11:02 AM
I will refrain from comment on this "I told you so" situation.

Ooops! :spin1::lol2::D

mfinn
08/17/2017, 11:13 AM
I will refrain from comment on this "I told you so" situation.

Ooops! :spin1::lol2::D

You don't need to say it. I know. But it was a long shot and I tried. Maybe I will learn some day.:debi:

mfinn
08/17/2017, 11:15 AM
2 of my closest reefer friends will benefit:celeb1:

evolved
08/17/2017, 11:35 AM
2 of my closest reefer friends will benefit:celeb1:
There's always an upside. :)

MuShu
08/17/2017, 06:51 PM
Give them some time, they may play nice together. Your tank is much bigger than mine and my three males get a long.

mfinn
08/18/2017, 08:57 PM
Give them some time, they may play nice together. Your tank is much bigger than mine and my three males get a long.

Well already there is definite hierarchy.
One stays high in the tank, one stays off to one side about 3/4 of the way down and the third hangs out near a pvc fitting opening.

I like how these guys are out in the open and not afraid.

mfinn
09/04/2017, 01:33 PM

How are the wrasses doing now?

I lost one of mine, but the other two are getting along, for now.

They are still in the quarantine tank.

MuShu
09/04/2017, 01:35 PM
Mine are doing great. I'm sorry to hear that you lost one of yours.

Rilelen
09/16/2017, 08:52 PM
I did the same thing a few years back....ordered 1 male, 2 juvenile/females from LA. Got a trio of three males! One didn't make it, the other two fought like the dickens until I separated them. Good luck with your remaining two!