PDA

View Full Version : Whitish bubble-like objects under skin

jmja89
08/15/2017, 02:43 PM
Hi,

I have a new wrasse, and he has (as title says) whitish bubble-like things under his skin. Being inexperienced, I thought they were from scratches and would go away in time, but they haven't.

They are about maybe 1x3mm and the shape of a grain of rice. They clearly stand up from his skin about 0.5mm. What's more confusing is that the number and position of them change, but always on his left side. Last night he had 3, this morning 1, and now 4. Once when he was turning yesterday, I visibly saw one of these things move and rotate 90deg.

He's eating and swimming fine, and I don't think he's flashing. I saw him gasp a few times on Sunday, but not since.

To me, it really looks and acts like bubbles, but I don't know if this makes sense? I've done reading and investigating and am worried it might be skin flukes. I have prazipro, but don't want to medicate unless I'm sure it's the right thing to do.

Does anyone have any ideas/advice? Thanks!

scuzy
08/15/2017, 02:47 PM
Pictures would be good for this.

jmja89
08/15/2017, 02:55 PM
I've tried, but he is fast and camera-shy. I'll keep trying, and post if I get a clear one.

jmja89
08/15/2017, 06:36 PM
So, in trying to get a clear picture of this guy, I found out he is flashing a lot. For whatever reason, he only does it right behind a large rock that's hard for me to see behind.

It really does look like pictures of skin flukes, but I've just haven't heard people talk about them moving around so much, so I decided to the prazipro. Within minutes, there were a few white worm-like creatures writhing around and coming off of him. I think he was able to shake them all off, but he's hiding now so I can't see for sure. At least one of the spots is now a ripped flap of skin.

I guess for now I'll keep an eye on him and then redose with prazipro in ~5 days? How many cycles of prazi should I do?