PDA

View Full Version : New frag with no polyp extension

Jwheld
08/15/2017, 07:48 PM
I got the following frag a week and a half ago. I've had corals brown before so I'm less worried about that. I thought, however, that I would have seen some polyps by now. The tissue is still looking good so I don't think it's too stressed.

The other pieces I got at the same time have amazing polyp extension day and night.

Any ideas?

NO3 : 2ppm
PO4 : 0.01 ppm
pH : 8.1
Alk : 7.3
Ca : 425
Mg : 1400
SG : 1.025

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/ae4c638d75d5a1fdac4344bad47ecbd5.jpg

ozmosis7
08/17/2017, 07:49 AM
That looks pretty browned out. If you can keep it alive, it might take a long time to get it colored up and healthy again. Some SPS have more visible polyps than others.

Jwheld
08/17/2017, 04:37 PM
That looks pretty browned out. If you can keep it alive, it might take a long time to get it colored up and healthy again. Some SPS have more visible polyps than others.

Yea, I agree it's pretty browned. With the naked eye there is still a tint of color. I've had corals brown out from the drive to my house from the store and they've colored back nicely within a couple weeks. I just haven't not seen polyps for this long without something starting to STN.

WLachnit
08/18/2017, 05:11 AM
IME, If it's a maricultured/wild coral frag that I got from an LFS, then that tends to happen to me. Aquacultured or frags from other reefers, really never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ebn
08/22/2017, 12:22 PM
Give it more time to settle in. For the last mariculture piece that I picked up, I didn't see any polyps or signs of polyps until 2 days after, when I saw the first mesenterial filaments (still no polyps). The first polyps started peeking 16 days after being in the tank. It wasn't until a full 1.5 months later until I saw polyps throughout the piece where they were prominent enough to be seen.

Jwheld
08/22/2017, 03:34 PM
Give it more time to settle in. For the last mariculture piece that I picked up, I didn't see any polyps or signs of polyps until 2 days after, when I saw the first mesenterial filaments (still no polyps). The first polyps started peeking 16 days after being in the tank. It wasn't until a full 1.5 until I saw polyps throughout the piece where they were prominent enough to be seen.

I've got some polyps now. Tiny little ones, mostly in the evening or at night.

I think it'll make it. Maybe it'll take a bit longer to get the color back too.