PDA

View Full Version : Nuking Tank for Aiptasia

Marc Daniels
08/15/2017, 08:55 PM
I am breaking down my 40g breeder frag tank and want to convert it into an anemone tank hosting a group of clowns.

I found some Aiptasia under the frag rack in the rubble and among the shallow sand bed. While I am in between I would like to eradicate the Aiptasia without harming the biological life thereby disrupting my balance and forcing a cycle.

So, anyone have any ideas for dosing the tank with something that would only kill the Aiptasia?

pisanoal
08/15/2017, 09:05 PM
How much did you find? In my experience, aptasia, if caught early is not hard to get rid of. If just a few, take a chunk of epoxy and completely cover them. Also, you could just acid wash those individual rocks if you dont see then elsewhere. Just keep an eye out the next few weeks gor more

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

dollarPit
08/16/2017, 06:34 AM
http://saltyunderground.com/ sells the biological option Berghia Nudibranch ... I had quite the outbreak after not knowing what I was doing by trying to manually remove (spreading them). The nudis took care and I've never seen again. Also had success with AptasiaX for spot treatment on new arrivals, but so confident in the nudis really don't need to bother.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
08/16/2017, 10:30 AM
There isn't an aiptasia selective chemical that I know of.. and if there was.. it would be well known...

bertoni
08/16/2017, 01:23 PM
Berghia (or similar nudibranchs) will mow down nearly all of the Aiptasia, and then die out, at least in my experience. Even a tiny bit of Aiptasia can regrow. Sigh. You could give them a shot, though. You might be luckier than I was. They did a good enough job that I could keep them under control fairly easily, though.

ozmosis7
08/17/2017, 06:17 AM
If the tank is isolated from other tanks, maybe there's some way you could dose apstasia X in a large enough quantity to kill them off? Maybe. Bergia would work, or maybe a file fish or peppermint shrimps.

tmz
08/18/2017, 12:19 PM
I inject them with some kalk paste ;wait a minute or two and brush them off. If I can remove the rock they're on I'll blot off any remaining tidbits with a paper towel.