PDA

View Full Version : phosguard seachem

danigerzon17
08/17/2017, 09:42 AM
hello
some one know if phosguard seachem is work very well?
i have tank 1.60.60 with lps and some sps like stag and montiphora
and i have phosphate 0.50 i read about phosguard seachem i see some people say that is work some one use with this and this work ?
and i see have another option with chloride lanthan atm agent green maybe this work?

mcgyvr
08/17/2017, 09:59 AM
First.. identify the source of the phosphate..
Its likely due to overfeeding..
Reduce that and the phosphate will go down on its own..

But yes GFO (rowaphos,etc..) and phosguard (aluminum based) does work and can work VERY well (too well actually)..
Its more efficient when run in a reactor but even when used in a media bag in an area of higher flow works..

I would not recommend lanthanum chloride for you..

danigerzon17
08/17/2017, 01:13 PM
First.. identify the source of the phosphate..
Its likely due to overfeeding..
Reduce that and the phosphate will go down on its own..

But yes GFO (rowaphos,etc..) and phosguard (aluminum based) does work and can work VERY well (too well actually)..
Its more efficient when run in a reactor but even when used in a media bag in an area of higher flow works..

I would not recommend lanthanum chloride for you..

why chloride lanthan is not good for me?

mcgyvr
08/17/2017, 02:26 PM
why chloride lanthan is not good for me?

Because you need to use it upstream of a filter/sock (very fine 5-10 micron) to catch and remove it after it has bound to the phosphate or else it will just settle all over in the tank..
And some have claimed issues with certain tank inhabitants not liking it..

I also think there are better approaches to phosphate issues vs GFO/LC...
Carbon dosing, refugiums, turf scrubbers, reduced feedings,etc...

But LC is very cheap and effective I personally just wouldn't use it in a functioning system. Some do though I'm sure..
I personally solve phosphate issues without resorting to binding products..
Thats just what I do.. Never need nor used GFO/LC

danigerzon17
08/17/2017, 04:04 PM
Because you need to use it upstream of a filter/sock (very fine 5-10 micron) to catch and remove it after it has bound to the phosphate or else it will just settle all over in the tank..
And some have claimed issues with certain tank inhabitants not liking it..

I also think there are better approaches to phosphate issues vs GFO/LC...
Carbon dosing, refugiums, turf scrubbers, reduced feedings,etc...

But LC is very cheap and effective I personally just wouldn't use it in a functioning system. Some do though I'm sure..
I personally solve phosphate issues without resorting to binding products..
Thats just what I do.. Never need nor used GFO/LC

so who you reduce you phosphate
how many you have in a beginning phosphate and who many phosphate you work ?

mcgyvr
08/17/2017, 04:09 PM
so who you reduce you phosphate
how many you have in a beginning phosphate and who many phosphate you work ?

Your English isn't the best there but...

Yes I would reduce me phosphate if I were you..
I like to keep it under .1 and usually mine is less than .02 or so..

BUT if everything in your tank seems to be doing fine and you don't have algae problems then I wouldn't worry really..

nematode
08/17/2017, 05:10 PM
I tried an old "box" of phosguard I had had around for ages.
Worked well for reducing phosphates, but it had very strong negative effects
on muchrooms and zoa. They stopped opening up within about a week after I added the phosguard. The started opening up again about a month after I removed the phosguard. I don't think it was due to phosphates dropping to zero. They didn't get to below about .1.

danigerzon17
08/17/2017, 05:26 PM
I tried an old "box" of phosguard I had had around for ages.
Worked well for reducing phosphates, but it had very strong negative effects
on muchrooms and zoa. They stopped opening up within about a week after I added the phosguard. The started opening up again about a month after I removed the phosguard. I don't think it was due to phosphates dropping to zero. They didn't get to below about .1.

ok thanks i dont know if buy it or no
i have muchrooms and zoa i scared now you scred me that them dont open because phosguard

jda
08/17/2017, 06:20 PM
You need to be very careful not to go too low. This is possible with aluminum based phosphate removers. Test the water and go slow. You also don't want to drop the phosphate too fast.

Be sure that you rinse the Phosguard and don't let it tumble. There have been some anecdotal rises in aluminum in tanks, but also plenty of people who have no issues with it. I know of some bigtime vendors that make their living selling coral who use it.

chlorinated
08/19/2017, 12:45 PM
I have used Phosguard in the past with zero issues. I dont run it all tge time, just ehen i see algae start to show. Rince really well and juse WAY less than you think you need. I was running 2 teaspoons in a 20gal nuvo and changing once a week. You csn always ramp up, but it works really well so go slow.

Also, i run it passively in a small media bag. I like it because it wont clump like gfo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk