PDA

View Full Version : Intestinal parasites?


dwwataz
08/18/2017, 08:01 AM
This isn't the first time I've brought the subject up on this Fish.

Back in February, I purchased a lovely little onyx percula from the lfs. She went through 8 weeks of qt. In qt I noticed Whitt stringy poop. I treated tank with 3 doses, 5 days apart with wc on day(s) 3, of prazipro. Stil hangies. I dosed water with metro per bottle instructions, I believe also 2-3 weeks. Hangies. I bought focus and did metro/focus for 3 weeks. Didn't notice hangies for a couple weeks but, prior to going on disability for hip surgery, I do hvac and work 10-14 hours a day. I plopped her and the true perc, whom never showed signs of anything, into dt. Few weeks later the hangies returned, just on the onyx perc. I did metro/focus an ADDITIONAL 3 weeks on 2 separate occasions. Hangies. I ordered 2 more fairy wrasses. I opted to drop them directly into DT and treat for prazipro. This fish constantly has something hanging out of her. None of my other fish, none of them, have ever shown signs of parasites.

To recap, dose of prazi, metro in water, metro bound to good for 3 weeks on 3 occasions, and another 2 week dose of prazi. I'm at a loss. From here I have no idea where to go. She seems otherwise happy. She spends 90% of her day in her LTA, the other 10% is spent checking on the 4 btas. No rapid breathing, no struggling to swim, and no other signs of distress. She doesn't eat as much as some of the other fish, but I do see her eat.

1.025, 8.2 ph, 0-0-0 ammonia, trites, trates, and 8 dkh.
They get fed small frozen portions twice daily because of the 3 fairy wrasses. I drop tiny pinches of seaweed pellets a couple times for the kole tang and sailfin blenny(who won't touch nori).

Thank you in advance

dwwataz
08/18/2017, 08:02 AM
I should note I even dosed water twice with epsom salt thinking it may have been indigestion. 1 tbs/5 gallons. I did that last week

scuzy
08/18/2017, 10:33 AM
It may not be intestinal parasites. Is she getting skinny?

dwwataz
08/18/2017, 11:26 AM
No, not that I can tell.

scuzy
08/18/2017, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't worry about it

dwwataz
08/18/2017, 01:18 PM
Ok. Thank you for your help. I was just worried because having constant stringy poop didn't seem healthy. This was the first fish I'd ever named, granted I've only been in the hobby ~9 months. I do love my Oprah Finfrey and her partner Dr. Gill. All the fish for that matter lol

Think I should fast them for a day?

scuzy
08/18/2017, 01:22 PM
If she's eating well I wouldn't worry too much. Now if she wasn't getting fat and losing weight I'll be more worry. You could try medicating the food. Think new lifespectrum makes a food call hex it's for internal parasites.

dwwataz
08/18/2017, 02:29 PM
Thank you, I'll give it a shot

lagatbezan
08/18/2017, 02:37 PM
I think stringy poop also has to do with what you feed the fish and not only associated with internal parasites. White color stringy poop is "assumed" to be parasites usually but not always the case while blackish/brownish darker color could be diet related.
I agree with Scuzy if its eating and getting fat and happy, don't worry about it.

dwwataz
08/18/2017, 04:29 PM
As far as I can tell she's happy. She loves her anemones and seems otherwise healthy. I really appreciate you guys chiming in. Thank you!

JustinM
08/18/2017, 06:36 PM
One thing to note, I had this same problem with a flame wrasse. She had white, stringy poop so we did the metro/focus treatment. It came back a few times so I kept on just feeding her the food blend for some time.

She looked like she was gaining weight, had a nice plump belly, to find out it was the intestinal worms. Just keep an eye out if the belly becomes too large, like pregnant large, otherwise just keep doing what you're doing. I imagine if it were worms, she would have succumbed by now.