PDA

View Full Version : an ideas on a diy refugium?

SmokeOneLV
08/18/2017, 10:18 AM
I want to add a refugium to my 150 gallon tank but I don't have room for a sump under my tank because the doors are to small I was thinking about a DIY hang on refugium but it looks like it would be to small. Any ideas or diy advice would be appreciated. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170818/378e158b37ea19462486fcabb7276b87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
08/18/2017, 10:56 AM
plastic box.. drill holes in sides for water circulation.. hang inside tank..
sized as you see fit

SmokeOneLV
08/18/2017, 11:02 AM
plastic box.. drill holes in sides for water circulation.. hang inside tank..
sized as you see fitI seen that on a you tube video it just didn't look to good in the tank. Does the size matter cause I seen a marina hang on breeder box that some people were using but they only had a 29g tank.

Jboone82590
08/18/2017, 11:20 AM
I would get a bew stand it if was me.
It will make your live easyer and make the tank look better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
08/18/2017, 11:40 AM
I seen that on a you tube video it just didn't look to good in the tank. Does the size matter cause I seen a marina hang on breeder box that some people were using but they only had a 29g tank.

Look good is a personal opinion and also dictated by ones ability to build/construct it nicely too..
A HOB overflow can certainly be made to look really cool..

Size of it will effect how much algae you can have in it.. How much you have in it changes the amount of "stuff" you can export with it.. More algae = more stuff exported..

SmokeOneLV
08/18/2017, 11:49 AM
Look good is a personal opinion and also dictated by ones ability to build/construct it nicely too..
A HOB overflow can certainly be made to look really cool..

Size of it will effect how much algae you can have in it.. How much you have in it changes the amount of "stuff" you can export with it.. More algae = more stuff exported..True that is a opinion lol. But would a lil hang on the back one be better than none at all? I want one for the pods to feed the tank naturally.

der_wille_zur_macht
08/18/2017, 12:07 PM
You could always put a smaller rank (say, 29g) on its own stand near your existing tank and use it as a display refugium.

A hang on will be fun and all but on a system that large probably won't make a difference. You can make careful rock rubble piles right in your system to provide places for pods to hide without all the work.

SmokeOneLV
08/18/2017, 12:22 PM
You could always put a smaller rank (say, 29g) on its own stand near your existing tank and use it as a display refugium.

A hang on will be fun and all but on a system that large probably won't make a difference. You can make careful rock rubble piles right in your system to provide places for pods to hide without all the work.Really a pill of rubble rocks? I never heard if that. And I do have a 10g tank that i was going to use as a QT. Are you saying make the refugium it's own system or u saying use a over flow box and run water from main tank to the refugium and back to the tank? I'm going to look into both.

SFish
08/18/2017, 03:18 PM
Why not just take the back or side off the stand to get a sump inside of it?

Greybeard
08/18/2017, 03:25 PM
Would have been easier before you filled the tank... gotta be some way to get a sump in there.

CustomAquarium.com has a modular sump system. You can assemble the pieces together under the tank. Not particularly attractive, IMHO, but they work well. Sturdy.

SmokeOneLV
08/18/2017, 03:37 PM
Why not just take the back or side off the stand to get a sump inside of it?Don't think the side comes off all to easy and it would still be tight trying to do anything with the lil door openings.

JTL
08/18/2017, 04:34 PM
There is always a way. Send a pic of the doors open. I think you can take out the vertical bracing in one of them an squeese a sump in. Just replace. The center bracing is not going to make the tank crash but it is needed for longer term support.

SFish
08/18/2017, 05:00 PM
I've seen people cut the side out and put it back after. If it's done right you won't be able to tell there was hole cut in the stand. The back would be where I would be looking. In any case you will be far better off with a sump under the stand. I would drain the tank if you don't have anything in it. Do it right the first time.

Clowning_Around
08/18/2017, 06:31 PM
Is plumbing it remotely not an option? I.e. basement or closet nearby.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
08/18/2017, 06:35 PM
Another idea.. build an overhead sump. U pump your supply from DT and put gravity return using a overflow to prevent a flood in DT

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SmokeOneLV
08/18/2017, 06:47 PM
I've seen people cut the side out and put it back after. If it's done right you won't be able to tell there was hole cut in the stand. The back would be where I would be looking. In any case you will be far better off with a sump under the stand. I would drain the tank if you don't have anything in it. Do it right the first time.Yea it's allready up and running and I don't have the tools to cut the side out. I looked at some display refugiums and they look pretty cool. I don't know anything about plumbing but I think this the way I'm going to go. Or I will just go without one.

der_wille_zur_macht
08/18/2017, 06:58 PM
Really a pill of rubble rocks? I never heard if that.

If you want the refugium for 'pod growth,it really doesn't HAVE to be in a separate container. You just need some way to keep predators away from their habitat. It used to be fairly common to stack small bits of rock rubble in the corners or behind the rockwork to allow for a refuge where the fish couldn't get to the micro-life multiplying there.

And I do have a 10g tank that i was going to use as a QT. Are you saying make the refugium it's own system or u saying use a over flow box and run water from main tank to the refugium and back to the tank? I'm going to look into both.

Yes, you would plumb the display refugium to the tank just like a sump. Really, it can go either way. If the refugium is lower, you treat it just like a sump (it doesn't have to literally be directly below the tank, it just has to be at a lower level). If the refugium is above the display tank, you treat the display tank like the sump. Either way, you have a gravity overflow working in one direction, and a pump working in the other.

SmokeOneLV
08/18/2017, 07:28 PM
If you want the refugium for 'pod growth,it really doesn't HAVE to be in a separate container. You just need some way to keep predators away from their habitat. It used to be fairly common to stack small bits of rock rubble in the corners or behind the rockwork to allow for a refuge where the fish couldn't get to the micro-life multiplying there.

Yes, you would plumb the display refugium to the tank just like a sump. Really, it can go either way. If the refugium is lower, you treat it just like a sump (it doesn't have to literally be directly below the tank, it just has to be at a lower level). If the refugium is above the display tank, you treat the display tank like the sump. Either way, you have a gravity overflow working in one direction, and a pump working in the other.Thank you. I think I will add a lil pile of rock after I do my water change. Right now I only have 2 clowns a couple snails and crabs so they should be ok for a min in a small pile of rocks?

Jlentz
08/20/2017, 02:27 PM
I want to add a refugium to my 150 gallon tank but I don't have room for a sump under my tank because the doors are to small I was thinking about a DIY hang on refugium but it looks like it would be to small. Any ideas or diy advice would be appreciated. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170818/378e158b37ea19462486fcabb7276b87.jpg

It'd be really worth it to figure out how to get a sump under the stand. I took a center brace out to get one in under my 1st tank. After that I just had Sonny build me one that would fit the biggest sump he could get me. (60 long under a 90). Hit up the facebeast groups too. Lots of guys to help out here in Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkocan
08/20/2017, 06:59 PM
I never thought I could get a sump in my corner tank. Then I got creative and put one in back in June. Since then have added a reactor and an ATO system. Love it, now if I could get rid of all my Kenyan tree coral...

Here's a link to my build.
http://m.imgur.com/a/uKwIw