PDA

View Full Version : Think I know the answer ...but?

tom obrecht
08/18/2017, 10:19 AM
Just left my LFS and they just got in a beautiful emperor angel. I know my gut says absolutely not for my sps reef but man what a beauty!! Any chance anyone has added this fish with no issue to sps?

Bpb
08/18/2017, 10:58 AM
I've known a handful of people that have kept them in sps reefs. They nip occasionally but if kept well fed they can be fine. Lps and polyps though however they will annihilate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DivingTheWorld
08/18/2017, 12:47 PM
My absolute favorite fish, especially when I see them diving. I've seen people with huge tanks (500g +) with tons of coral have them.

I liken it to my father and my vineyard. We have about 150 plants for personal wine making only. Each year as the fruit ripens we net the vineyard to prevent birds and other animals from decimating the crop. Generally speaking, professional vineyards with acres of grapes don't bother.

If you have a ton of large corals, they'll eat here and there and they will grow back. If you have a small tank with small corals, it might clean you out.

tom obrecht
08/18/2017, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The display is 96" x 30" x 20"h with a good amount of sps. I'm very tempted but everything has been doing well for awhile and the tank has been filling in...I just don't want to drop a fish like this in it and have 2 1/2 years of patience fall downward.

Bpb
08/18/2017, 01:38 PM
Worst case scenario if it nibbles more than you're comfortable with, simply drop in a fish trap and return it or sell it. Occasional nipping can be therapeutic and encourage branching and growth. Stalled apical coralites or leggy branches almost always get a growth spurt from pruning the tips. If you have excellent health and growth with enough corals, the occasional nipping may even be a good thing

cFloor
08/18/2017, 02:12 PM
If you have any LPS they'd be at high risk. I never hesitate to add an angel to my tank knowing that if I have to, I can always catch and remove them.

jda
08/18/2017, 04:06 PM
They can be great and then turn all of a sudden. Some are terrors the first day and some are fine forever. Seems like you might stand a better chance if you get them when they are small and easier to get onto quality foods like NLS pellets. ...so you do know the answer already.

I had Chysurus Angelfish for years and years with no issues... they seem more mellow, IME, but they are still not 100%. Genicanthus Angelfish are completely reef safe if you are really into angelfish.

Bulldog88
08/19/2017, 08:11 AM
Worst case scenario if it nibbles more than you're comfortable with, simply drop in a fish trap and return it or sell it. Occasional nipping can be therapeutic and encourage branching and growth. Stalled apical coralites or leggy branches almost always get a growth spurt from pruning the tips. If you have excellent health and growth with enough corals, the occasional nipping may even be a good thing

Very interesting, I've always wondered if that were the case. Just like simple gardening 101. I would think you'd need a large large system so it didn't disrupt too much.

tom obrecht
08/19/2017, 10:23 AM
Well I guess I will mull it over the weekend. Might give it a try even tho deep down I feel it might be a mistake. Time will tell.

ozmosis7
08/19/2017, 01:08 PM
I've always wanted a niger trigger and was actually offered a blue throated trigger for almost nothing once. But like some of these other fish that tend to nip, for every one person I know who has/had success there are 4 or 5 others who didn't. I've long avoided it because of that.

kevin.st
08/23/2017, 11:10 AM
A friend was giving away her medium sized Koran-a cheap but gorgeous fish. I thought I'd give it a shot. I have a full mixed reef.

Within a few days, the koran had eaten hundreds of zoa pollyps, ate half of my huge welso and after some time, nipped SPS. He would eat all of a certain type of zoa until depletion in one day.

I really wanted to keep the fish, but I had to get him out. I have used a fish trap many times and he was the hardest one to catch, ever!

Never again, for me.

Leopardshark
08/24/2017, 10:52 AM
Donīt believe everything people say.
This is my former 300 gal tank with not 1, but 3 angels, emperor, majestic and asfur angels.
Mostly spsīs but some lpsīs and some gorgonians and xenia.
Never ever had a problem with any of them, never.
So I say, go for it!