PDA

View Full Version : White tail bristle tooth with red spots on sides????

FunFishin24
08/18/2017, 01:38 PM
Hello all. I've been trying to properly diagnose before I treat but I'm having troubles so thought I'd ask for assistance.

My white tail bristle tooth tang has been acting weird the last 2 days. This morning I noticed he has red discolorations on his sides, spots are about the size of pencil eraser. He is twitching & flashing around the tank. So far he still eats. No white spots so not ich. But idk what it is--maybe flukes or bacterial infection????
He's been in 500g DT for 6-8 weeks. Water tests good with exception of alk is a little low at 7.4. Tankmates are--Achilles, blonde naso, purple & orange shoulder tangs. Copperband butterfly. Sargassum triggers. Pair of clownfish & a blenny.

None of the other fish show signs of anything but the white tail goes from grazing on the rocks to freaking out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FunFishin24
08/18/2017, 01:52 PM
Also forgot to mention the rapid breathing. I tried to take some pics(not the best). https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170818/be7262aef7079f825afc3eb19556c685.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170818/ed858f3cf680da092bf1f193808c0b9d.jpg
I noticed now the one up by his head is now almost a yellow spot. ☹️
???????????????

JustinM
08/18/2017, 06:41 PM
Has he ever been treated for anything, prazi, copper?

If you can catch him I would do a FW dip and see what comes off.

Whatever it is, looks like it's spreading fast.

FunFishin24
08/21/2017, 10:47 AM
Thank you. If I can't catch him(in timely manner without stressing him out) can I treat my DT with prazipro???

lagatbezan
08/21/2017, 02:26 PM
I have read many people treating their main DT with prazipro with no ill effect. Some wrasses dont handle it well though.
unfortunately I'm not sure what you are dealing with but flashing and twitching could be signs of flukes so hopefully prazipro does the trick. keep in mind minimum of two treatments are needed, sometimes more to fully eradicate the adults and eggs. its known to deplete the oxygen level in the tank so make sure you provide good aeration.

FunFishin24
08/21/2017, 07:11 PM
Thank you for the reply & heads up about oxygen. I read somewhere that I should leave my skimmer on but take the lid of & just let it overflow back into sump for the oxygen. Also, I haven't seen any signs of anything other than the red spots. He still eats & swims around the tank & then all of a sudden start flashing & swimming all crazy & breathing heavy, then goes back to being normal, grazing on rocks & everything. No scratching or anything. I'm kinda lost.

JustinM
08/22/2017, 02:33 PM
Prazi can be safely added to the DT. Wrasses are known to be more sensitive to it but I personally have never experienced any issues with it. Legatbezan gave some solid advice.

WLachnit
08/22/2017, 03:37 PM
IME, I've had no issues with Prazi and wrasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk