PDA

View Full Version : How to freeze/freeze-dry silversides?

ichthyogeek
08/18/2017, 08:01 PM
How does one freeze or freeze-dry various fish foodstuffs for long term storage and without freezer burn? I'm wondering how hard it is to do this with various sardine like species like silversides...

salty joe
08/18/2017, 08:45 PM
You could freeze them while submerged in water which would take care of freezer burn but might be a pain at feeding time.

desjardinii
08/19/2017, 08:11 PM
You have to remove the air so tightly wrapped in plastic wrap works ok but the best is a food vacuum sealer.

salty joe
08/20/2017, 09:46 AM
Do you think vacuum sealing silversides individually is a realistic option?

billdogg
08/20/2017, 11:37 AM
If you plan on ding them individually, I would just get some extra small ziploc baggies, drop one in, add water, then squeeze the baggie a little as you zip it shut, leaving enough water to keep it covered. If you want to get really picky, use ro/di.

desjardinii
08/21/2017, 02:38 AM
Do you think vacuum sealing silversides individually is a realistic option?

No, not realistic for individual fish...

Dan_P
08/21/2017, 05:51 AM
How does one freeze or freeze-dry various fish foodstuffs for long term storage and without freezer burn? I'm wondering how hard it is to do this with various sardine like species like silversides...

Freeze-drying removes most of the water, the maximum amount of freezer burn possible.

Freezer burn is dehydration, a result of not completely sealing the frozen item. The mechanism of dehydration in the freezer is the sublimtion of ice. Long term storage will require air tight packaging to prevent loss of water vapor.

der_wille_zur_macht
08/21/2017, 01:17 PM
Flash freeze like you would berries or other delicate food items. Spread them out so they're not touching on a metal tray in the freezer, then as soon as they are just frozen move them to airtight packaging. This keeps them from freezing in to a big glob or otherwise getting ruined in the process.

davocean
08/21/2017, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure what you are feeding silversides to, but FYI they have been very problematic for us anemone keepers, many of us will not use them anymore.
Most suspect silversides not meant for human consumption are already compromised during the freezing/packaging process.
I had 3 healthy established LTA's that detached and melted immediately after a feeding, no other tank changes.
You won't see any in my freezer ever again.