PDA

View Full Version : Multiple wrasses

Crooked Reef
08/19/2017, 10:01 AM
Wanting to add a solarensis fairy wrasse to a 90 gallon that has two Halichoeres wrasses currently. They are a melanurus and a dusky wrasse. They have been together about two months with the dusky being in for a month prior to that and are about 3.5" long. They ignore each other for the most part unless it's feeding time. In that case they swim together across the front of the tank with no aggression towards each other whatsoever. I know the solar wrasse is one of the more aggressive Cirrhilabrus wrasses but I have read different species generally won't bother each other. Any insight or experience from anybody? Thanks.

Gar3th
08/19/2017, 01:15 PM
Have both a dusky and a melanurus in with a Scott's fairy wrasse, not exact but the two halichoeres wrasse do not pay any attention to the Scott's. They have been together over a year with lots of other wrasse.

ozmosis7
08/19/2017, 02:10 PM
I've kept multiple wrasses and have known others who have kept a many as 6 in one reef tank. In my case, they became territorial after a while in all instances.

hogfanreefer
08/19/2017, 04:14 PM
Shouldn't be a problem unless you decide to add another Cirhillabrus wrasse later.

I have kept as many as 13 wrasse in my 6' tank without any issues. You just have to choose your species wisely. Evolved's article is very helpful in choosing what wrasse will coexist peacefully. He will be speaking at MACNA if you get a chance to attend.