PDA

View Full Version : DIY Sump Home Depot glass

beachfubar
08/19/2017, 08:36 PM
I am looking to build a 16 x 20 x 16 sump for my 60gal cube. Dose anyone think that glass from HD would work?

Clowning_Around
08/19/2017, 08:50 PM
I would not. It is very thin and easy to break. Even if not intially, I wouldnt feel good about it down in a sump working quarters over the long haul, just to easy to break. Such a small size I would just make it out of there acrylic if your set on sourcing from HD. Else if you want glass look for an old used, cracked, leaking or reptile tank etc and salvage the glass - much cheaper than buying thicker glass from a shop, look for a 30g or more to get into the better thicknesses for sump glass. If you go the later route besure to clean it thoroughly. Some like vinegar some like to use bleach, I like to use both. I first disassemble using the fishing line method. I then scrap with razor all remaining silicone. Then I do a vinegar bath with scrub after to get rid of the crud and lastly I bleach it in a 10% concentration to kill any baddies, just be sure to let it air dry before use. Gluck

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BigT75
08/19/2017, 09:04 PM
My local glass shop cut and polished the edges the glass for a 20g H sump for less than $20 1/4 inch I then went to a TS sump but I'd encourage you to go to a shop cheap and easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
08/19/2017, 09:07 PM
Around my area 1 simple 1/4 baffle 8x12 will cost you 30 bucks alone -ridiculous! I priced 4 glass shops too, its just the market in my area...

If your local glass shops are affordable, then thats a hands down avenue to pursue.

bhbell
08/19/2017, 09:31 PM
I am looking to build a 16 x 20 x 16 sump for my 60gal cube. Dose anyone think that glass from HD would work?Depends on the size of the sump. The big question is why? Petco has a dollar a gallon sale that I believe is going on right now. If not, it will be shortly. They run it every couple of months.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

davocean
08/19/2017, 11:01 PM
Every HD I know only carries 1/8" glass which is too thin, I'd want 1/4" min, but I agree petco dollar sales are hard to beat, what mine is, a 40g breeder

beachfubar
08/20/2017, 07:38 AM
I have a 60gal cube with a custom stand. I can fit a 17 x 21 tank under it but they don't sell them that size... I will look into glass shops near me

SFish
08/20/2017, 02:24 PM
Cost me $30 for 4 glass baffles from the glass shop by me. They also polished the glass.

sleepydoc
08/20/2017, 02:42 PM
Ditto everyone above. HD only has ⅛" glass which is too thin. (remember that a rimless tank needs to have thicker glass than a rimmed tank, too) It is also not polished, so you will ether need to polish it yourself or cover it to avoid getting cut.

Getting a cheap $1/gallon tank for your sump is probably the best idea if it will work.

beachfubar
08/20/2017, 06:31 PM
only thing that would fit would be a 10gal and don't think that is enough for a 60gal cube

bhbell
08/20/2017, 07:04 PM
only thing that would fit would be a 10gal and don't think that is enough for a 60gal cubeTwo ten gallons in series. Use uniseals and a piece of 2" PVC to connect them.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
08/20/2017, 10:31 PM
Is it hidden? Given the size desired you might be able to find a Rubbermaid type container fairly inexpensively to serve the purpose.

royy13
08/21/2017, 08:13 AM
I use the HD glass to make baffles. I wouldn't use it for the outter sides of s sump.

Roy

mcgyvr
08/21/2017, 09:08 AM
1/8" glass can be used (I would NOT).. but its very fragile/delicate and the water level on both sides should be equal to cancel out any pressure on it..

Some glass shops will change an arm and a leg.. others will not.. Finding the low cost solution can be very difficult where you live..
I personally went with 1/4" acrylic on my sump as glass was more difficult to get and most certainly expensive based on how I wanted it cut/slit,etc...

Acrylic is not the best choice either but its a better choice than 1/8" glass..

Just leave a good 1/8" or more gap between it and the glass and fill that with silicone..
Acrylic will expand slightly with water exposure and if set in there tight can crack thinner glass panes of a tank over time..

Lsufan
08/21/2017, 09:21 PM
OP is talking about building a tank for a sump, not just the baffles. I don't want to speak for him but I'm pretty sure mcgyver was talking about 1/8" being ok to use on baffles, not to build the sump.

I wouldn't even use 1/8" for baffles. Not because I would be worried about the pressure breaking it but because it cracks so easily from just about anything. If u hit it with your skimmer or drop something on it , it will break way easier then 1/4" will.

If u are comfortable cutting glass & sanding the edges, it will probably be cheaper to buy one piece of glass & cutting it yourself. A lot of glass shops will charge for each piece of glass they have to cut. So to get them to cut the glass u may end up paying $150 or so & the one piece of glass be $50. U would have to price it out & see the difference to see if it is worth the hassle of cutting it yourself. I know glass shops in my area would probably charge $200 to $250 to get them to cut the glass for a tank that size.

Something u may consider is building the sump from acrylic.

mcgyvr
08/22/2017, 05:58 AM
OP is talking about building a tank for a sump, not just the baffles. I don't want to speak for him but I'm pretty sure mcgyver was talking about 1/8" being ok to use on baffles, not to build the sump.

oh. yikes... speaking for me here is just fine :)
Most were talking about baffles and I thought thats what the OP was asking about.. Certainly 1/8" is NOT ok for building a tank unless those dimensions they gave were in mm units ;)

beachfubar
08/22/2017, 07:56 PM
thank you for the thoughts. I am still looking for glass shop.. I am running a rubbermade sump right now but want to be able to run a fug and keep my skimmers water level.

Louis Z
08/27/2017, 11:03 PM
I look for someone elses broken tank or that it leaks . I Dismantle it then cut the glass to my dimensions . Then I take a vibrating sander to the edges . Time consuming but cheap. I haven't tried cutting thicker than 1/4 inch

beachfubar
08/28/2017, 07:39 PM
thanks