PDA

View Full Version : Can even low traces of silicates cause diatom blooms?

Lockfish
08/19/2017, 10:53 PM
Hello all, this is my first post though I have read many and have learned a lot from you guys. I have a dilema, I've had my tank running my for two years with basically the same live stock and feeding habits. I do a 20% water change every 2 weeks and change my socks every 3 days. Now, here's where I screwed up. For about 2 months I didn't run my skimmer and changed socks when they were overflowing and did maybe 1 water change. Boom! Inevitable cyano started. Then got back in the game. Slime away and back to routine. I didn't loose anything, no fish no lps and softies is what I have. After a couple weeks diatom starts popping up. Water parameter are perfect I even checked for silicates. I use chemipure elite and purigen and with regular water changes nutrients must be low. I've been running the same r/o on auto top off for over 1 1/2 years can this be the cause of my diatoms? Very minute silicates ? I tested the high range silicates and was untracable. I feed 1 cube of mysis a day and spot feed coral reef roids twice a week. Help! It's been getting worse it's now on 50% of sand bed and a few rocks that don't get much circulation ... hoping for answers.....

bertoni
08/20/2017, 03:18 PM
[welcome]
Diatoms need phosphorus and nitrogen from the water column to grow. Adding a bit of silicate to the water column might encourage more diatoms to grow. A lot of snails will eat diatoms, so they generally aren't a problem. A Trochus or two might make a big difference. How big is the tank?

Dan_P
08/20/2017, 06:54 PM
...Now, here's where I screwed up. For about 2 months I didn't run my skimmer and changed socks when they were overflowing and did maybe 1 water change. Boom! Inevitable cyano started.

I would consider this as a candidate trigger for your eventual diatom issue. The Cyanobacteria bloom was probably just one of many different blooms occurring in the aquarium as nutrient levels presumably increased.

I've been running the same r/o on auto top off for over 1 1/2 years can this be the cause of my diatoms?

Another candidate for causing problems. I presume that you mean that you have not change the RO membrane, carbon or sediment filter. If you aren't monitoring TDS you might have started pumping in tap water residues some months ago.

Lockfish
08/21/2017, 07:50 PM
I just ordered all the membranes and replacement cartridges for my r/o I'm hoping that helps. I'm sure the spike in nutrients was the original source for this. It's been a couple of months with no change. My r/o is rated at 55 gpd but I was told I should change membranes once a year anyways. I'm hoping my r/o top off water is what's prolonging this diatom bloom.
Regards,