PDA

View Full Version : Can you do formalin baths to all marine fish??

sensei
08/20/2017, 03:00 PM
I have done it to anthias, but now I am doing TTM and prazi to the following fish:
blue face angel,
poters angel
cleaner wrasse,
marine betta

should I do a formalin bath at the end of each TTM to all these fish in the 4 Tank Transffers??

thanks

sensei
08/20/2017, 03:54 PM
I am also quarentining a leopard wrasse and a hawk fish.
let me know if I can do the formalin to all of them

thanks

Tanthaitrung
08/20/2017, 06:46 PM
Yes, I do a Formalin bath when finishing TTM.

I think if your fishes have no any symtoms, so one dip is enough. Remember put the air stones when dipping and keep an eye on your fishes, remove them at once if they show evidence of stress.

Good luck

sensei
08/20/2017, 07:12 PM
Yes, I do a Formalin bath when finishing TTM.

I think if your fishes have no any symtoms, so one dip is enough. Remember put the air stones when dipping and keep an eye on your fishes, remove them at once if they show evidence of stress.

Good luck

Thanks for your answer.
the thing is that last time I did anthias I had quite of an experience.
they started dying one by one, I did not know what disease was it and I had never used used formalin. One of the 5 survived but that last one never showed any symptoms even though fish was in same qt tank. Fish was inmune but that did not mean he was not a carrier. I did the full protocol for Urenoma to that fish with the long and short formalin treatment. I have had that fish in observation for 6 months now and I have not released him.
I will put 2 clown fish that I am have in qt now in the same observation tank and if there are no issues after 1 month of leaving together I will assume fish is cured.

Taking that into account, we could encounter inmune fish so if you do 1 formalin bath, I believe fish will NOT be cured. becuase if 1 bath would do it why is there a full series of bath for treating the infection?

it is to much of a risk, so why not do the 4 baths after each TTM??? I think there should be no harm?

any thoughts?

Tanthaitrung
08/20/2017, 07:47 PM
they started dying I did not know what disease was it and I had never used used formalin. One of the 5 survived but that last one never showed any symptoms even though fish was in same qt tank

Sorry to hear that. I don't think 4 baths will kill your fishes. But the problem is the fishes were dead without symptoms. So we don't know which medicine can help.

I used to lose my Copper Banded like this. From then all my new fishes are treated with, Prazipro, Formalin, TTM and Paraguard before put them in QT.

Try Paraguard, this one can treat parasitic, fugal, bacterial ...

http://www.seachem.com/paraguard.php

Hope this helps

sensei
08/20/2017, 08:16 PM
to clear my story the 4 fished that died did show symptoms, but they died so fast that I was not prepared with formalin, the 5th is the one that never showed symptoms.
the good thing is that none of this sick fish made it to main dt. they died in qt tank.

I treat all my new fish with TTM + Prazi and I have done formalin 2 times but I will include it in al fish from now on.

I have only done formalin with anthias and they did not mind the bath, have you had fish like angels or copperband that were stressed with it?

what is the dose of formalin you use? how many ml per galon of water?

thanks

scuzy
08/21/2017, 01:04 AM
I use 1ml of formalin a gallon of water. I do all my fish for 45 min before going into ttm. Worked on all fiah I've tried so far.

Tanthaitrung
08/21/2017, 03:24 AM
Yes, I used to dip Angel and Copper Banded without any trouble. Here is the instruction:

http://www.fishvet.com/Formalin-MS.htm

Hope this helps

sensei
08/21/2017, 07:02 AM
Thanks a lot to both of you