PDA

View Full Version : Blastomussa turning white - HELP

Mr. Arbuckle
08/20/2017, 03:46 PM
Hello,

Im usually lurking around the forums and don't post much....but I'm having some issues with my tank at the moment. Namely, my Blastomussa coral, which seems to have lost a lot of color on the largest polyp overnight, and has gotten progressively worse over the past couple days, and now spreading to another larger polyp. Pictures are attached.

I just checked the water parameters, and they are as follows:

Specific Gravity = 1.025
pH = 8.4
Ammonia = 0 ppm
Magnesium = 1380ppm
Calcium = 1400ppm
Alkalinity = 11 dKH
Phosphate = 0.25ppm
Nitrate = 10ppm

For lighting I have a 42W LED system (Steve's LED's Biocube 14 upgrade kit), and I'm running white lights at 55% and the blue lights a little higher at 57%

Temperature generally stays between 74 and 79F.

The rest of the setup is a Biocube 14 tank with a MJ900 (Italian made) pump, and I'm running a media basket with filter floss up top, siporax in the middle, and on the bottom I'm running activated carbon, Rowaphos, and purigen.

Livestock includes:
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
1 lettuce nudibranch
6 nassarius snails
2 astrea snails
5 head blastomussa coral
many-headed Duncan coral
Acan coral
pulsing xenia coral
green/green-orange Zola colony
a small-ish sun coral
a galaxea coral hitchhiker (just a few polyps)

Ive had this blasto be very healthy for about 8 months, and this seemed to have lost a lot of color quickly; I didn't change anything in the tank.

About two two days after the initial color loss, I added a bunch of new livestock (3 shrimp, two clownfish) and moved the rocks around a bit, and did a 25% water change which seemed to make things worse, with a second large polyp now losing color.

Please help!

Mr. Arbuckle
08/20/2017, 04:07 PM
Sorry took me a minute to figure out how to post a picture.

cococolg
09/02/2017, 05:30 AM
very nice

ssgss gogeta
09/02/2017, 05:36 AM
very nice

Ummmm what the? Please tell me this is s robot or a troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssgss gogeta
09/02/2017, 05:38 AM
1400 calcium? Am I reading that correctly? That's ridiculous, also phos and nitrates are a little high for my liking. Where does your tank parameters normally sit?

Aresangel
09/02/2017, 06:20 PM
I too am confused with the CA reading. Typically I see them around 400-500ppm not 1400! If that is a true reading then it very well could be the issue. The photo looks like it is in the shadow? Lights may not be strong enough. Higher light with low-moderate flow would be my suggestion.

kurt_n
09/02/2017, 10:45 PM
I assume that 1400 calcium is actually 400. Pretty sure 1400 can't physically happen in our tanks.

Can you post a photo of it when it's expanded? I'm just confused because what I'm seeing doesn't even look alive except for a little bit of tissue there where it's green. Maybe it's just the lighting in this picture, but even when my Blasto is retracted you can't see the septa like you can in your photo.

Are the clowns the only fish in the tank?

ssgss gogeta
09/02/2017, 10:54 PM
I assume that 1400 calcium is actually 400. Pretty sure 1400 can't physically happen in our tanks.

Can you post a photo of it when it's expanded? I'm just confused because what I'm seeing doesn't even look alive except for a little bit of tissue there where it's green. Maybe it's just the lighting in this picture, but even when my Blasto is retracted you can't see the septa like you can in your photo.

Are the clowns the only fish in the tank?

I think your right that it was a typo, I dunno though man Im pretty sure I've seen a friend get his up to like 1200. Anythings possible. We had to do some math with the test kit to get the idea of 1200 though haha.

If there's still some flesh it's still alive. I've had blastos do weird things but never loose this much flesh assuming it was normal prior.

Op do you have a picture of it when you thought it was doing well