PDA

View Full Version : Tang with Ich?

padi200
08/21/2017, 11:44 AM
This Achilles tang has been in my tank a few weeks. He eats fine and acts fine but appears to have ich or some other infection. Can someone please help me identify what it is?
Not sure if it is Cryptocarayon infection or something like "velvet" Amyloodinium?
I can post more pictures if needed?
One other tang also has a few white spots (The other is a Powder Blue)

hkgar
08/21/2017, 02:35 PM
Look like Ick to me. You have a problem if it is. What else i in the tank? Your treatment options are Hypo-salinity, copper or tan transfer method (TTM) start doing some research on the fish disease forum. You could do Hypo in your tank but you will lose coral and inverts. TTM and copper require removing the fish and the tank being fallow (fish less) for 72 days.

padi200
08/21/2017, 04:15 PM
What about Chloroquine Phosphate? Any experience with that?

Ncord
08/21/2017, 04:44 PM
Hkgar. Is right I m battling this my self doing TTM only way to get rid of it, copper the fish and let you DT tank do its thing. Check you tube. Ritter tube reef about ich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeysee1
08/21/2017, 06:40 PM
Yep. Ich. All fish need to be removed from your tank and put in a Quarantine Tank. Start hypo or copper treatment. Leave your main display tank fishless for 8 weeks.

padi200
08/21/2017, 09:34 PM
OK kind and helpful people ( not being sarcastic, promise )
The tank is a 12 year old reef tank that was so so stable with big, mature SPS, LPS , and lots of fish until about a month ago when a local power plant literally exploded and the oil in one of the transformers burned for over 14 hours. I had no power and no Vortech battery and my air pump battery both failed . All but two fish died. But I took the dead fish out immediately and never had any ammonia or nitrate or nitrite spikes . All the coral was perfect!
I put in a clean up crew of 20 or so snails and crabs just in case . Then 5 days later , the stable 12 year old tank got all new fish . All at once ! It avoided any territory issues and the
tank had about the same number of fish before . Around 15 to 20.
Now I have ICH? No way I know to catch all those fish without destruction of all the corals and rocks?
I seriously don't know what to do! I can't catch them all ? Would if I could!!
HELP!!!!!

padi200
08/21/2017, 09:40 PM
And one more question, what do you do with all the invertebrates ? Easier to get a new tank ! Honestly����

hkgar
08/22/2017, 11:46 AM
You only have the 3 choice that have been outlined. There is no magic solution. In the future, ALL new fish MUST be put through TTM and QT. Not doing so is Russian roulette and sooner or later you hit the bullet chamber. It happened to me after 8 years and the Ick killed off all but two of my fish. I put the DT through Hypo and it was a BIG PITA. Now no fish goes in without TTM. <- That is a period.

rtparty
08/22/2017, 11:58 AM
If none of those things are a viable option, your only choice is to hope and pray. Feed heavy and hope the fish fight it off. It will remain in your tank forever since there is a host present at all times.

This is coming from someone who has never QTed a thing in this hobby in almost 12 years. I've also never had a huge tank with a ton of fish either. I don't keep tangs or other disease/ich prone fish.

JustinM
08/22/2017, 02:41 PM
CP is a great choice for acanthurus tangs. Yes, it is much easier to just get a new tank and qt the current fish and let the DT go fallow for 90 days. 76 will work with some 99.7% certainty but 90 days will be 100%.

One key bit of advice I can offer, as I did this and reintroduced ich to my DT. I came down with ich, took all fish out and qt'd 30 days of copper, antibiotics, etc. After the 30 days, I added a bag of cuprisorb and copper went below therapeutic as it should. Now, not thinking about the remaining cysts from ich that would hatch. We just went on for the remainder of the 46 days thinking all was great.

Well needless to say, we got ich again. Just a tip for ya:) Best of luck!

WLachnit
08/22/2017, 03:35 PM
CP is a great choice for acanthurus tangs. Yes, it is much easier to just get a new tank and qt the current fish and let the DT go fallow for 90 days. 76 will work with some 99.7% certainty but 90 days will be 100%.

One key bit of advice I can offer, as I did this and reintroduced ich to my DT. I came down with ich, took all fish out and qt'd 30 days of copper, antibiotics, etc. After the 30 days, I added a bag of cuprisorb and copper went below therapeutic as it should. Now, not thinking about the remaining cysts from ich that would hatch. We just went on for the remainder of the 46 days thinking all was great.

Well needless to say, we got ich again. Just a tip for ya:) Best of luck!

Just to clarify, your display tank was fishless for 76d? And your fish went through copper treatment? This would suggest that the copper treatment was ineffective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk