PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Skimz QuietPro pumps?

Kinetic
08/21/2017, 10:32 PM
I ordered a Skimz QuietPro 4.0 and out of the box it feels pretty cheap. It's all white, with smudged brown on it. The cage protecting the inlet feels like strawberry basket painted white, and sits at an angle and not at all flush.

I haven't run it in water yet, but considering just returning it without trying it out and waiting on a Vectra S1.

mcgyvr
08/22/2017, 08:29 AM
Pics online don't really seem to show "cheapness/thin" in the inlet screen..
Looks stout enough for what it is.. shouldn't need to be bullet proof..

The all white look is pretty boring though..

"smudged brown" I'll assume would just be poor mixing of the resin beads/colorant during injection molding.. Or the use of regrind plastic in the process.. Which shouldn't cause any performance/quality issues at all..

Let us know how it goes..

Kinetic
08/22/2017, 12:29 PM
As long as performance is good and it's reliable, I'm OK with it. Just seems that I've had a lot of other pumps in or under the price point with a lot better build quality (visually at least).

But really, still haven't heard of anyone using these. I guess if you have a new Skimz skimmer you probably are using it.

Kinetic
08/22/2017, 07:39 PM
Just filled up a tub of water and turned the pump on. Pretty much near silent and pushed out water nicely. I let it run for about 10 minutes and nothing weird happened.

I then took some vinegar and water to the surface and cleaned it off. Looks much nicer now.

Not sure if I would buy it again, but I'll stick to it since I have it. I'll report back later if anything bad happens.

AJReefKeeper
03/01/2018, 10:29 AM
How do you take it apart to clean the impeller?

Kinetic
03/01/2018, 02:15 PM
Forgot to report, this thing ended up getting extremely loud. I returned it and replaced with Reef Octopus VarioS pumps. So much better.