PDA

View Full Version : Rock Beauty

ca1ore
08/22/2017, 11:32 AM
Local reefer was selling a captive eating rock beauty - couldn't resist. Anyone have a view on level of reef safeness? I've heard similar to a dwarf angel not named after a fruit.

mike61289
08/22/2017, 01:19 PM
I never kept one, but I've seen them in the wild while scuba diving. They're usually picking at algae and sponges. I don't think they're the safest with coral, but they shouldn't bother inverts.

I've read that they can be tricky to keep alive. Apparently, even individuals that are feeding regularly have been known to appear dead one day. I assume it's because their natural diet isn't being matched to their captive diet. I guess you should look into food with high sponge concentrations.

Good luck.

pinnatus
08/22/2017, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't trust them with coral. In fact, mine also sneaks up behind fish and nips their fins.

JaySchulz
08/22/2017, 05:44 PM
I think it's hit or miss in regards to them nipping coral. I had one years ago in my last tank and he was a model citizen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hogfanreefer
08/22/2017, 07:47 PM
I always see them eating sponge, frequently following a Hawksbill turtle who is eating sponge.

I'm really jealous. I think they're one of the prettiest fish in the Caribbean (with Queen Angels).

Not sure about their disposition but the one in this video (about the 1:00 mark) was wearing out the damsels on this little coral head.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bpwddbV4Y3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lagatbezan
08/22/2017, 08:07 PM
Local reefer was selling a captive eating rock beauty - couldn't resist. Anyone have a view on level of reef safeness? I've heard similar to a dwarf angel not named after a fruit.

I'll adopt her if she doesn't behave in your tank 😂

ca1ore
08/22/2017, 10:06 PM
I always see them eating sponge, frequently following a Hawksbill turtle who is eating sponge.

I'm really jealous. I think they're one of the prettiest fish in the Caribbean (with Queen Angels).

Not sure about their disposition but the one in this video (about the 1:00 mark) was wearing out the damsels on this little coral head.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bpwddbV4Y3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice, have had the good fortune to dive a lot of places and Coz is in my top 3. Excellent video, thx for sharing.

ca1ore
08/22/2017, 10:07 PM
So I guess the 'consensus' is reef safe with caution :lol:. One of my absolute favorite Angels.

Cliving1
08/23/2017, 05:14 AM
I did the same, loved the angel and picked one up about 2 years ago. It immeadiately destroyed a few brains, but not every coral. Very specific in what it nipped at.

ca1ore
08/23/2017, 06:51 AM
I did the same, loved the angel and picked one up about 2 years ago. It immeadiately destroyed a few brains, but not every coral. Very specific in what it nipped at.

Yeah, any brain corals in my tank got removed a long time ago thanks to the other angels already resident in my tank (flame, potters, lemonpeel, regal).

Cliving1
08/23/2017, 10:52 AM
Ah, smart choice! They can be a bit difficult to get eating prepared as well. I found sponge to be appetizing for the one I had at least.

ca1ore
08/23/2017, 10:58 AM
The RB I have eats everything - though I take no credit for that as it was doing so before I bought it.

JaySchulz
08/23/2017, 03:10 PM
I'm curious about what size of a tank or how big of a coral colony does the occasional nibble from a fish not a cause for concern regarding the corals health. For example if you have a CB in a 40 gallon tank with 1 brain colony, the constant nibbles could eventually kill the coral. But if you have a CB that occasionally nibbles in a 1,000 gallon tank with multiple larger colonies, the same area of the coral isn't constantly the CB's food and the coral colony heals before the CB can come snack again. What I just said might of sounded confusing because I didn't explain it good but hopefully you got the point. I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca1ore
08/23/2017, 06:59 PM
I think you explainitated it just fine :lol: I have often wondered the same thing. Corals survive in the ocean with armies of obligate coralivores. What the 'magic' number is I frankly have no idea; though I suspect a tank of many thousands of gallons would be required. I keep a LemonPeel dwarfin my 265, and though he does some damage, not to the point where most corals fail to thrive (with some exceptions). Perhaps in a smaller tank it would much more of a problem.

hogfanreefer
08/23/2017, 08:31 PM
Agreed Jay, my goal in life....to have a tank that big..LOL