PDA

View Full Version : How to lower live rock into very tall tank?

cpbartak
08/22/2017, 11:46 AM
I'm looking to lower live rock safely into a very tall acrylic aquarium of roughly 44" high. Any idea for how to accomplish this? The openings in the top are too small for someone to get in the tank. Thanks for any ideas you have!

Clowning_Around
08/22/2017, 11:56 AM
Pictures might be helpful. Can you loop a series of fishing line around the rock lower in place, release one side of the loops and pull the orher side up and out. My bigger concern however would be access after the fact for any number of reasons. Personally I wouldnt lower the rock in if I couldnt access it by hand after - food for thought...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

zachfishman
08/23/2017, 07:34 PM
Bucket with one rope tied to the handle and another to the bottom... lower rock in bucket, set on sand, gently tip bucket on side by pulling on bottom rope, slide rock out by slowly raising bottom end of bucket with bottom rope, repeat.

And then manipulate the LR with one of these: https://pikstik.com/collections/aquatongs/products/pikstik-aquatong-48-sku-a482

mcgyvr
08/24/2017, 12:09 PM
coralife aqua tongs?

JTL
08/24/2017, 12:31 PM
Bought something similar to the pikstik at our local Dollar Store, used guessed it $1. All plastic and works great. Going back for a couple more.

norfolkgarden
08/25/2017, 02:46 PM
Is the tank already full of water?
Have you thought about placing clean cardboard against the sides you are most likely going to bang into when lowering it?

Sounds like it will be beautiful when you are done.
Send pics!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

desjardinii
08/26/2017, 07:57 AM
A long enough length of stout wire with a short hook/angle bent in the end, you can hang the rock from a secure hole or crevice and lower it down.

Gorgok
08/29/2017, 12:51 AM
I'd consider making the holes bigger myself if at all possible...

cpbartak
09/07/2017, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your ideas. It's a 300 gallon pentagon tank 60"x30"x45". It's going to be a coldwater Potbelly seahorse tank. I picked up the Pikstik mentioned in this thread to manipulate the rock once it's in. The tank is dry currently, so I'll put cardboard inside to protect the front and sides of the tank from scratches. I'll look into the bucket and stout wire methods as possibilities for lowering the rock.

zachfishman
09/07/2017, 03:10 PM
It's a 300 gallon ...Potbelly seahorse tank.

My gosh that will be a lot of seahorses!