PDA

View Full Version : Pvc ?

SFish
08/22/2017, 08:39 PM
What's about the smallest section of PVC pipe I need to put two fittings together? I'm making a manifold and want to keep it as small as possible. The picture shows the way I'm thinking of putting it together. To bad there are no street T's. Like street 45's.

ericarenee
08/22/2017, 08:53 PM
Just cut some 1 1/2 inch pieces of pvc Glue 3/4 of it into one side of each of the T fittings. Then Glue up and connect them together. You can have it Just like you have them lined up in the image..

Some Brands of 1 1/2 inch fittings will only accept 1/2 inch if this is the case for yours use 1 to 1 1/4 inch pieces......

Hope this help

Good Luck OHH When is the swimming party?

SFish
08/22/2017, 09:02 PM
Thanks

Swimming party? Must look like a pool fitting or something.

ericarenee
08/22/2017, 09:06 PM
Thanks

Swimming party? Must look like a pool fitting or something.

nope..

maybe a pool party?

Lsufan
08/22/2017, 09:21 PM
Like she said, the pvc will slide 3/4" into the fitting. So if u cut the pvc 1.5" the tees will be butting together like in your pic.

One thing to consider, if it's possible I like to leave 3/4" inbetween the tees. If u ever have a leaky valve or need to redo something on the manifold, it leaves u enough pvc so u can cut out a tee & be able to glue another one on. If u have the tees together & u need to change one out u will have to build a hole new manifold. It would suck to have to redo the manifold for one leaky valve.

If u don't have the room to leave a section of pvc between the tees then I would eighther use threaded valves or leave a 3/4" section of pvc between the tee & the valve. Doing one of these u wouldn't be able to do any mods to the manifold itself but u can atleast replace the valve if need be.

Clowning_Around
08/22/2017, 09:30 PM
I like to always check inside the fitting for actual slip size. Just run your tape measure up inside until it hits the lip and read your tape against the fitting edge. I've had some same size 1.5in fittings range from 1.25 to .75 engagement. It never hurts to check and only takes a moment. sometimes it can be due to fitting type or perhaps brand.

SFish
08/23/2017, 01:30 AM
Like she said, the pvc will slide 3/4" into the fitting. So if u cut the pvc 1.5" the tees will be butting together like in your pic.

One thing to consider, if it's possible I like to leave 3/4" inbetween the tees. If u ever have a leaky valve or need to redo something on the manifold, it leaves u enough pvc so u can cut out a tee & be able to glue another one on. If u have the tees together & u need to change one out u will have to build a hole new manifold. It would suck to have to redo the manifold for one leaky valve.

If u don't have the room to leave a section of pvc between the tees then I would eighther use threaded valves or leave a 3/4" section of pvc between the tee & the valve. Doing one of these u wouldn't be able to do any mods to the manifold itself but u can atleast replace the valve if need be.

Actually I want to put unions in between the tees. I was going to put them on the valves but it will make them stick out to far.

NanoReefWanabe
08/23/2017, 08:14 AM
I would be worried that using 1.5" feed line with 1.5" aux lines and 1.5" tees and valves that there won't be enough water in the manifold to run all the aux lines properly...

I would think the feed line and manifold would have to be bigger then the combination of the aux lines, unless it is under pressure...

At the very least I would have made the manifold out of 2" and the aux lines 3/4"

SFish
08/23/2017, 08:16 AM
Those are 1" tees and valves. Almost all the lines off the manifold will be 3/4". There's only one line that is 1/4" that feeds a reactor.

ericarenee
08/23/2017, 08:43 AM
as said above before i would use unions between them . Get Threaded T fittings and threaded 2 " Threaded double threaded pipe, Use teflon paste and screw the together. This way you can take them apart later if need be..

SFish
08/23/2017, 10:23 AM
I will be able to take it apart with unions in between the tees. Each valve will be able to come out. I don't have room for 2" fittings and I really don't want to use threaded fittings. If it's set up like this (see picture) If I had to remove a valve because it was bad I only lose the Tee, the valve, and a barb fitting. Each valve could be removed and I use 1/2 the unions plus save space. On top of that the valves come apart so they can be cleaned.

SFish
08/23/2017, 10:31 AM
Set up

fishgate
08/23/2017, 12:11 PM
A union is total overkill for that. Just glue like you originally planned and have a good day. No need to complicate some things.

lagatbezan
08/23/2017, 12:29 PM
A union is total overkill for that. Just glue like you originally planned and have a good day. No need to complicate some things.

^Agree.
If its glued properly you shouldn't have any leaks or failure because the joints gets fused together. I hate using threaded; in my experience after a while they lockup and are impossible to open anyway.
In tight places I have even shaved down the T sides to make them shorter to fit in smaller places.

Clowning_Around
08/23/2017, 03:26 PM
It appears you have the valve type that can be easily serviced by unscrewing its top just below the handle. Assuming that's the case, I would opt to omit the unions inbetween as well. If ever needed you could Just replace the guts of a leaking valve, the housing i can't imagine going bad per say. Maybe a union on the outside of the manifold for ease of removal as one unit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SFish
08/23/2017, 06:02 PM
I never planned on not having unions. I just put the valves together to show the general idea of what the manifold will look like. My original plan was to have them on both sides of each valve but that will extend the manifold out to much. I also don't have the barb fittings on hand to put in the valves to show them. The input and output will not be the same size. The next best thing is putting them in between the Tees. It maybe a bit of overkill but I would rather have them there even though from the pictures I've seen it looks like most people don't. If anything having them will at least make it easy to add another valve down the road if I decide I want to run something else off the manifold. The valves ended up being more bulky then I thought they would be but that's ok. I totally agree that using threaded fittings would be a PIA.

Lsufan
08/23/2017, 07:09 PM
I don't know why but I thought I read that u were using 1/2". With 1" plumbing the pvc will slide into the fitting 1" , so u would have to cut the pvc 2" & everything will fit tight. It is always best to measure how far it will slide into the fitting on the specific fittings u have so u know it will be right. On most 1" fittings the pvc will slide in 1". On 3/4" & 1/2" fittings it slides in 3/4". But u don't have to have any space between fittings, u just want to make sure that u cut the pvc long enough so it fully inserts into both fittings

One good thing about the unions inbetween the tees is u can turn the valves how they best fit your setup. U can have one valve facing straight out & another facing down or whatever & it's something u can adjust as u need. All u have to do is loosen the union on both sides of the valve, turn it to where u want & tighten them back up

BTW, there is nothing wrong with threaded fittings. If they leak then chances are they weren't installed right in the first place. If they are installed correctly they don't have any more of a chance to leak then a union does

SFish
08/23/2017, 07:59 PM
I'll take slipxslip fittings any day over threaded

Lsufan
08/23/2017, 08:34 PM
Yea, I wasn't really comparing them to slip fittings. If there isn't a point in a threaded fitting or a union then it's always better to be glued. All I was saying is in the cases that a thread fitting is needed they won't leak if they are installed right.

For instance, I like to use threaded valves on my manifolds incase I need to change the adapter that feeds whatever that line is feeding. All u have to do is replace the adapter itself. U don't end up having to replace half the manifold & the valve.