PDA

View Full Version : higher nutrient or dirty tank?

waynefort
08/23/2017, 06:12 AM
I recently confuse about nutrient term in the reef tank, especially a high nutrient system, i heard softie and most lps like and aay tolerate higher level nutrient , does higher nutrient level is higher in nitrate and phospate or simply a dirty water? I also struggle to keep nitrate and phospate down close to zero as i plan to keep acropora, but i have been told that mushroom and zoanthid like higher nutrient level, i afraid as keeping it down will stressed other coral. So did a higher nutrient mean a plain dirty tank and higher nitrate and phospate?

RobZilla04
08/23/2017, 06:57 AM
When those levels are higher problems with algae begin to form. Running a skimmer and doing frequent water and filter changes will help reduce those levels. If you plan on adding SPS you'll need to get a handle on those.

mcgyvr
08/23/2017, 10:02 AM
Don't confuse the words "like" with "tolerate"..

But yes in this hobby "dirty" is typically associated with higher nitrate (and even phosphate) levels

Many of the corals that can "tolerate" higher levels will do just fine if not better with lower levels..

There are people that have successful tanks with nutrient levels most would "cringe" at.. But they are few and far between..
Your best plan of action is to always strive for lower levels as there is plenty of proof that corals do great with them..

bertoni
08/23/2017, 03:51 PM
I try to avoid terminology like "dirty". Many soft corals will grow more quickly with some measurable dissolved nutrients, mostly nitrate and phosphate. The same might be true of some stony corals, but stony corals can be more picky about the phosphate and nitrate level. I would avoid generalizing, and check what conditions the corals you have would prefer, at least as far as we can tell what's best for them.

gprdypoo04
08/23/2017, 03:55 PM
I have nitrates at 30 ppm and phosphates are .03 now due to bio pellets and other dosing. My SPS and zoanthids are doing fine even when my readings were more elevated.

waynefort
08/24/2017, 05:23 AM
Thank you for your feedback, my local lfs has told me if i wish to keep some softie like xenia and zoanthid , i should keep some nutrient in my system and not completely vanish them and if i which to keep sps, i should shot a nitrate and phospate down close to zero or sps coral will be brown, so what if i using a amino acid instead letting phospate and nitrate raise?

bertoni
08/24/2017, 01:50 PM
I raised Xenia and zoanthids in tanks without any measurable dissolved nutrients. Personally, I would let the corals themselves be my guide as to whether the tank needed more food. Every tank is different, though. Are your corals having any problems? Are they growing well?