PDA

View Full Version : Biocube RetroFit LED

t_fins
08/23/2017, 09:03 AM
I am am looking to upgrade my lights. My Stock CF bulbs are over a year old and it's time to change them out. I want to keep the hood on. I really want an anenome at some point.

My question: How hard are the retro kits to install? I've never really worked with LEDs or electricity in general. Can a novice install these lights? And if so what's the best lights to get for a Biocube 29?

TIA

soulpatch
08/23/2017, 11:38 AM
they are super easy to do for anyone as they are all pretty much plug and play. Takes less then an hour.

If you want the look of the hood rapidled or steves leds are typically the go to

matt_longview
08/24/2017, 11:44 PM
Can someone measure how much space is available within the splash shield?

I'm looking to upgrade lighting as well.

soulpatch
08/25/2017, 07:39 AM
message reef_wreck in the nano forum as he just had to measure.

matt_longview
08/25/2017, 04:02 PM
message reef_wreck in the nano forum as he just had to measure.

Will do. Thanks!

Mark Bianco
08/26/2017, 06:06 AM
I done a few retro for Biocubes and they arent that hard, if you buy a kit designed for your brand hood from a well know supplier. Two come to mind Steve's Leds and Rapid Led. Little on the pricey side but I do prefer Steve"s the best this is basically an all in one unit with very little effort to install.

I do want to give you one warning some company is selling a new hood complete with the led's already installed. Its all new and two minutes to change hoods is great. I have a friend that installed one of these, and IMHO the only thing this light hood combination is good for is growing cyanobacteria.

HTH