PDA

View Full Version : How do you feed firefish with other tank mates?

snowlynx
08/23/2017, 01:35 PM
Does the fire fish eventually overcome it's timid nature to venture
Out from rocks to eat, when there are more agressive tank mates like pair of clowns?

I'm debating to get one. I have a pair of young clowns,
putting them in my 17 gallon.

Considering adding royal gramma and firefish
These would be in QT tank for 2 weeks so they go
After the clown pair, false percs

Valentini89
08/23/2017, 01:44 PM
I have a firefish in a tank with an anthia, 2 valentini puffers and two clowns and it came out until I added the anthia. Now it never comes out.

sde1500
08/23/2017, 01:49 PM
My Melanurus wrasse is a bit of a bully, but the purple firefish never has trouble eating.

snowlynx
08/23/2017, 01:58 PM
I have a firefish in a tank with an anthia, 2 valentini puffers and two clowns and it came out until I added the anthia. Now it never comes out.

Your fire fish still alive? What does it eat then?

You both have way larger tanks than me, lol

Maybe dumb question, if clownpair feeds towards
Right of the tank, do you also drop food
On left side so other fish will eat, ideally they
all come to share at same food drop but thats ideal

GimpyFin
08/23/2017, 02:07 PM
The main concern I'd have is with tank size. Paired clowns can become very territorial and in a 17g tank, there could be some real turf issues/bullying with anything you try and add.

snowlynx
08/23/2017, 02:39 PM
Yes agreed, why I am hesistant to add anymore. Clowns generally stay in one area
so seems kind of a waste with no fish in other areas of the tank

GimpyFin
08/23/2017, 03:14 PM
Clowns do often stick to a certain area of the tank (As do fire fish, IME.) In small tanks, though, an adult pair of clowns could stake the whole tank as theirs, so it's just something to keep in mind. That aside, I've never had much issue with fire fish eating. Especially once they're established and comfortable. My helfrichi hangs with all the big boys when it's feeding time. I also had a purple until recently and he was the same way.

mcgyvr
08/23/2017, 05:31 PM
Ive been adding more fish to my tank.. and mine now too stays by himself often hidden which it didn't used to but still certainly knows when its feeding time and comes right out for that..

snowlynx
08/23/2017, 08:53 PM
I think I did better with a fire fish I got today at the lfs. It is smaller than previous one but he doesn't hide and quite bold character.

Oddly the royal gramma I got is timid and hiding in the pvc pipe I added to the QT tank as shelter. Maybe they will reverse roles later.

Amazing how each fish has it's unique character attributes along with no looks
are exactly the same.

snowlynx
08/23/2017, 08:56 PM
I thought you cannot have more than one firefish, one eventually kills the other?

110 gallons probably enough room for each it's own personal space :-)

those fancier fire fish are purty but also purty expensive

JMorris271
08/23/2017, 10:32 PM
I have 2 fire fish with one being very active in all regards. The other is timid and generally only comes out occasionally to eat. There are time that I see them both out together with no aggression toward one another. I feed my tank at one side and let the food circulate via power heads.

jd371
08/24/2017, 12:47 PM
Mine use to be out and about all the time, fast forward and a few fish later and now I only see him at feeding time. He will pop out for a look around from time to time, but quickly bolts back into his cave.
For one month I didn't see him at all and I thought he starved and died. Then one day while a was feeding I saw him out of the corner of my eye stick his head out of the cave for some food that floated by. After that I kept on eye on the cave and could see bits of food float into the cave he was in. So the whole time I thought he starved and was a goner he was just chilling in his home getting room service.

scooters reef
08/24/2017, 01:59 PM
I've never had a firefish before now due to the same concern. This time I figured I'd give it a try. Tank is 270g and plenty of space to hide, but was worried about it eating. SO far, so good. I have four royal grammas, a pearly jawfish (same worry there), a large blue spot watchman, and a foxface so far. The firefish doesn't seem bothered even when surrounded by the others, and is the first one to approach the glass when I walk up. My fingers crossed as well. Still worried how it'll do when multiple tangs are actively cruising back and forth.

It was also the very first fish in this new build, in hopes he'd be well established.

GimpyFin
08/24/2017, 02:47 PM
I thought you cannot have more than one firefish, one eventually kills the other?

110 gallons probably enough room for each it's own personal space :-)

those fancier fire fish are purty but also purty expensive

It's a gamble keeping multiples. I got lucky in that my purple and helfrichi acted like a bonded pair and were always together. Losing the purple was just one of those unexpected losses after having him for about 3.5 years. Actually found an old pic of them.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11339&pictureid=78449

lg2725
08/24/2017, 02:53 PM
I usually feed the top of the tank where most of my fish will venture for food. As they're up there I use a turkey baster to shoot food lower to where the firefish is. I only do that after I see it not being able to get food as it falls to it for a day or so though. Otherwise it's survival of the fittest.

borg
08/24/2017, 08:26 PM
i dont target feed mine but it ventures out during the broadcast shrimp feed every second day .... but i have a large tank