PDA

View Full Version : Need help with this algae

codydemmel4
08/23/2017, 07:40 PM
How to get rid of this algae and is it affecting my SPS or will they encrust over it?

I barely have any snails or hermits. I do have four crabs though, I have no other algae besides this "thicker" algae.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170824/f6e351a606e9f4c15dc2fb70395c324e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170824/acb0d373450afd9c413ca757785933d0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170824/b4d6c1f259daa197e9491c253589d71b.jpg

Alk is 7
Calc is 420
Phosphates is between 0.03-0.08
Nitrate between 4-8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirland
08/23/2017, 08:56 PM
Get some snails and hermits

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

benihana
08/24/2017, 04:26 AM
Did you add in dry rock that was once live, but was never washed in an acid bath? I had something similar and figured out that the rock that I used was leaching phosphates into the water, so when I checked the levels, they were minimal (similar to yours) and finally decided to pull all of the rock and give it an acid bath...it has been 4 months and no algae has returned

codydemmel4
08/24/2017, 05:58 AM
I am going to be taking the flakes offline and adding some snails and hermits, see if I can get rid of it a natural way.

I did add dry rock, but that was 8 months ago. I think this is from me feeding too much when I couldnt register nutrients

benihana
08/24/2017, 06:07 AM
Where did you get the dry rock? Was it from BRS, or did you get it from another reefer?

codydemmel4
08/24/2017, 06:18 AM
where did you get the dry rock? Was it from brs, or did you get it from another reefer?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

brs

minus9
08/24/2017, 09:40 AM
Turbos, trochus and a handful of hermits will do the job, but you definitely need a CUC! Maybe an urchin as well? Try Reef Cleaners, John will put together a nice package for you.

codydemmel4
08/24/2017, 09:58 AM
Turbos, trochus and a handful of hermits will do the job, but you definitely need a CUC! Maybe an urchin as well? Try Reef Cleaners, John will put together a nice package for you.

Yeah I am going to order some from them, they just wont ship till monday now which kind of stinks. I am still on the fence about a urchin

minus9
08/24/2017, 10:04 AM
They're not necessary, just see what the snails and hermits do first and go from there. John is great and you always get extras, enjoy and good luck!

codydemmel4
08/24/2017, 10:10 AM
They're not necessary, just see what the snails and hermits do first and go from there. John is great and you always get extras, enjoy and good luck!

Thanks!

Tomorrow I am going to add some CUC, either half a cup or a cup of GFO and try to pull off/scrub off as much as possible.

Any algae that are on frag plugs, I am going to dislodge the frag plug and put some hydrogen peroxide on the plug to get rid of it.

reefmutt
08/24/2017, 11:23 AM
Yeah, this stuff is pretty basic stuff, a solid cuc should take care of it..
An urchin will make quick work of it but yes, they can be bull dozers..
Having said that, I've added many a long spine urchin to sps tanks and never really had a problem.. and boy do they clean!

codydemmel4
08/24/2017, 12:51 PM
Yeah, this stuff is pretty basic stuff, a solid cuc should take care of it..
An urchin will make quick work of it but yes, they can be bull dozers..
Having said that, I've added many a long spine urchin to sps tanks and never really had a problem.. and boy do they clean!

Yeah that is what I am hoping and will give it a week or two before doing anything major.

xCry0x
08/31/2017, 11:36 PM
Nothing major to do; you just need snails.

I had a turf algae problem until I got 2 turbos in my 60g; no more turf algae.

I have a million trochus snails in my tank - well I bought about 5 and then they turned into a million. They didn't put a dent in the algae. 2 turbos, all gone.

I just bought some more clean up crew from reefcleaners. Awesome service awesome selection highly recommend.

Added a fighting conch to work my sand bed, a few emerald crabs and a brittle star just because. Only problem was the conch I got is a monster ;) Should have asked for a smaller one. Thing is the size of my fist.

jda
09/01/2017, 03:37 PM
This is part of the cycle - do no sweat it. The rocks are probably releasing phosphate - it can take a while since most dry rock is bound up with phosphates. Just get a CUC, keep on you water changes and feed responsibly and this will pass in a few months.

The fresh coralline growth is a good sign.

I don't see any need for hermits. While the do eat some algae, they love to kill snails for their shells. Astreas, nerite, Mexican Turbos (if really bad, they are bulldozers) and some Trochus (pacific) are my go-to crew.