PDA

View Full Version : Managing Alk/Ca in Nanos

ca1ore
08/24/2017, 06:28 AM
Trying to keep my nano tanks relatively low tech - using water changes to manage nutrient removal and mineral replenishment. Seeing dropping alk levels, however. I manage alk/Ca though multiple approaches on my big system. Toying with adding kalk to the ATO reservoir.

How are folks managing alk/Ca in nano systems?

ssgss gogeta
08/24/2017, 06:31 AM
My 15g I still use a doser and Randy's recipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bif24701
08/24/2017, 07:11 AM
Trying to keep my nano tanks relatively low tech - using water changes to manage nutrient removal and mineral replenishment. Seeing dropping alk levels, however. I manage alk/Ca though multiple approaches on my big system. Toying with adding kalk to the ATO reservoir.

How are folks managing alk/Ca in nano systems?

Kalk in ATO can not be beat. You don't need any other equipment, just add some Kalk to your ATO tank. Suppliments ALK and Cal, boosts pH, and keeps very stables parameters.

ReefWreak
08/24/2017, 08:03 AM
I want to move over to kalk, and set up a copycat of the Tunze topoff kalk reactor system, though I've been dosing 2 part through BRS dosers on timers for the better part of 2.5ish years with success.

I'm not sure that kalk would be able to keep up, but now that I'm going through about a gallon a week instead of a gallon every 2 weeks (slightly warmer house, rear hatch open, warmer skimmer), I might be able to pull off a kalk-based system.

I'd recommend starting with kalk, as with any tank, and then if you really need additional supplementation you can step it up to 2 part. I've thought about calcium reactors, but I don't have the space, or a sump, and I imagine the nano reactors aren't that good (as with most other nano equipment, except this Aquamaxx skimmer that skims the scales off my fishes).

TexChuck
08/24/2017, 10:04 AM
I just added Kalk to my ATO a couple of weeks ago. Not getting a lot of evap (< 5gal in that time), so I've left the feeding window open. Will also help with temp spikes.

My alk has been dropping too ... Probably not surprising since I've gone overboard with coral, 24 pieces now.

I'm using the Tunze nano ATO. I'll be paying close attention to the pump getting eaten up by the Kalk -- I've read that a quarterly (or monthly?) bath and soak in vinegar is good maintenance to limit clogging.

ca1ore
08/24/2017, 03:45 PM
Kalk in ATO can not be beat. You don't need any other equipment, just add some Kalk to your ATO tank. Suppliments ALK and Cal, boosts pH, and keeps very stables parameters.

I agree, though it's insufficient in a SPS-heavy tank. I use a kalk stirrer in my big system but don't really want to spring for two more for the nanos (plus no place to put them anyhow). I think I will just dump powder into the reservoir and call it a day. Unlike my big system, neither of the nanos have any really alk/cal heavy consumers.

bif24701
08/24/2017, 05:27 PM
I agree, though it's insufficient in a SPS-heavy tank. I use a kalk stirrer in my big system but don't really want to spring for two more for the nanos (plus no place to put them anyhow). I think I will just dump powder into the reservoir and call it a day. Unlike my big system, neither of the nanos have any really alk/cal heavy consumers.

I don't have a problem with keeping up with my ALK/Cal using Kalk. Does your large system need additional additives to Kalk?

ca1ore
08/24/2017, 08:33 PM
I don't have a problem with keeping up with my ALK/Cal using Kalk. Does your large system need additional additives to Kalk?

I have massive SPS colonies in a 265 (soon to be a 450) and the only way I can keep up with alk demand is with the use of a large CaRx. I do also use Kalk, but mainly for its pH boosting properties.

rishma
08/25/2017, 07:27 PM
Kalk in ato, runs slowly all night. Off during day.

LuizW13
08/25/2017, 11:51 PM
what if the salt (tropic Marin Pro) makes high CA and MG, but low Alkalinity? Any of you guys doing just dosing one thing?

ssgss gogeta
08/26/2017, 12:23 AM
what if the salt (tropic Marin Pro) makes high CA and MG, but low Alkalinity? Any of you guys doing just dosing one thing?

My doser is set to my needs, my alk depletes before my calc which depletes before my mag. Each I monitored use and set accordingly. If that makes sense each is dosed according to your own needs

ReefWreak
08/27/2017, 11:05 AM

FYI when people encounter that, they often adjust the salt water mix directly before doing their water change. Usually people do this with instant ocean salt and magnesium.

Bobbitworm13
08/30/2017, 09:16 PM
I adjust the magnesium in my aquaforest sea salt.