PDA

View Full Version : who uses gfo, even if a small amount. successful reefers?

codydemmel4
08/24/2017, 08:27 AM
Well I now have a hair algae/turf algae problem and I am getting concerned it may take over some of my SPS frags.

As of now, I took the automatic feeder offline that was feeding flakes so no wjust frozen food. I think this alone will make a difference.

I am however interested in adding a very small amount of GFO, maybe like 1 cup to a reactor to see if that will help too. I also am going to be adding more snails and crabs. I maybe have like 5 snails now and 2 crabs.

So anyway, I am interested who is running gfo. Especially the successful reefers

Pife
08/24/2017, 08:58 AM
Well I now have a hair algae/turf algae problem and I am getting concerned it may take over some of my SPS frags.

As of now, I took the automatic feeder offline that was feeding flakes so no wjust frozen food. I think this alone will make a difference.

I am however interested in adding a very small amount of GFO, maybe like 1 cup to a reactor to see if that will help too. I also am going to be adding more snails and crabs. I maybe have like 5 snails now and 2 crabs.

So anyway, I am interested who is running gfo. Especially the successful reefersI don't know if I'm successful but in my 300 gallons I run a cup of gfo and barely trickle water through it. (250ml to 400ml per minute roughly) My phosphate stays low and I only have to change it out like twice a year.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

codydemmel4
08/24/2017, 09:03 AM
I don't know if I'm successful but in my 300 gallons I run a cup of gfo and barely trickle water through it. (250ml to 400ml per minute roughly) My phosphate stays low and I only have to change it out like twice a year.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

you definitely have success in SPS, just look at your frag tank haha

I am thinking about doing something very similar. Maybe I will start with half a cup. I would just like to feed as much as possible and just export more. I figure that will help with growth and colors of the coral and also health of the fish as long as I can get that healthy balance without this algae I have now

Cheapreef
08/24/2017, 09:12 AM
Have you considered running a Algae scrubber? They work extrememly well for keeping phosphates down and the HA out of the display tank.

codydemmel4
08/24/2017, 09:16 AM
Have you considered running a Algae scrubber? They work extrememly well for keeping phosphates down and the HA out of the display tank.

Not really, I have a good sized fuge where I have a huge ball of cheato that needs trimmed every week.

reefmutt
08/24/2017, 11:30 AM
Looking back in my notes, when I used gfo- about 250ml PER WEEK, I got my po4 to just below .1. Like around .08-.1.
I would keep two sacks next to the rapid output of my skimmer. A new one and last week's bag. So, each weekend I would replace the two week old bag with a new one.
Turning the sacks every couple days..
I went through a friggin boatload of the stuff.
Without it, p jumps to around .14-.18.
I would have to say, I had slightly better colour with lower p levels but it had very little to no effect on nuisance algea in the tank..

Cheapreef
08/24/2017, 11:52 AM
Not really, I have a good sized fuge where I have a huge ball of cheato that needs trimmed every week.

That's not actually the same, they both use nutrients but the AS will out compete the HA in the display tank once it take off.

codydemmel4
08/24/2017, 01:46 PM
That's not actually the same, they both use nutrients but the AS will out compete the HA in the display tank once it take off.

Yeah i thought about it but never got around to it.