PDA

View Full Version : Water chiller

Ncord
08/24/2017, 12:20 PM
So I have come to realize that I do in fact need a water chiller for my 180gal tank. Water temp is starting to get into the 80's 83 a few times and started to bleach some new frag sticks I got. Where have u you seen a good prices on some, or due you know a place to fine a good used one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReefWreak
08/24/2017, 12:27 PM
So this is the DIY section, and I don't think your question is about DIY.

But we can make it about DIY! - Are you running fans currently to evaporate water to bring your temps down? If not, I'd recommend trying that out first (you can get clip-on fans pretty inexpensively, or make a clip-on Frankenstein's monster). If that doesn't work, you can make a "swamp cooler" tower that basically just drips high volumes of water down, blowing a fan across the dripping water, maximizing evaporation and cooling the water even more.

Then, worth mentioning that 83 isn't all that bad, though you might want to minimize the temperature swing more than reduce the overall temperature if you're only hitting 83. I run my tank at 82ish most of the summer (during the day), and my SPS grow like crazy. I would not equate your troubles with new frags with temperatures if your temperature is below 85 degrees max, and doesn't swing more than 5 degrees through the day.

mcgyvr
08/24/2017, 12:29 PM
for used check...craigslist, ebay, facebook has for sale stuff too I think now?

What country are you located in?

Have you tried fans blowing on the surface of the water?
That can have a considerable effect sometimes..
Or where is the heat coming from?
Ambient room temp?
Type of lighting?

Maybe you can change other equipment or add some fans/ducting,etc...
Pictures/details would help provided suggestions..

Ncord
08/24/2017, 10:19 PM
Room temp is 78. I have a read seas max s 650, with hydra leds. Water parameters are near perfect. Just noticed the my sump area is the hottest going to run a box blowing room air in see if that makes a difference. Was toying of making some rio water ice and throw them in see if I can keep the temp low like that during the day. Thanks for the input and ideas!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170825/6eab7870c9a79b4de9b6f865f8f2aa94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kalkwasser
09/12/2017, 05:55 PM
I have tried the fan method but as we all know the temperature drop depend very much on the humidity in the air and the amount you can drop is not much. My experience is about 2 degrees ambience different. So it's going to hoover up and down constantly which is bad.
And with DIY stuff end up it's going to cost you more time and $. Getting a chiller is the best bet IMHO