PDA

View Full Version : Anyone setup a RO/DI Reservoir and tap by your tank?

reenact12321
08/24/2017, 03:25 PM
I have a 40 Breeder setup that is far away from any water source. For me, this means running RO/DI in the basement into my 32 gallon Brute and then carrying a 5 gallon ATO bucket up a flight of stairs and across the entire house every 4 or 5 days, dripping etc.

The floor/ceiling is open underneath the tank.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with installing a small tap with a RO reservoir setup. I'm thinking something on the order of a small faucet I can use to fill buckets for water changes/ATO.

I'm just trying to think of something better than my current arrangement, and I don't think my little aqualift is going to be enough to lift water from the basement to the sump. I guess upgrading and putting the brute underneath would work but it would mean running RO/DI hosing across the basement.

homer1475
08/24/2017, 04:04 PM
Why not just setup a mixing station in the basement with a large pump and potable water hose that you just carry to the tank for water changes?

Some of us even use remote outlets(like the ones you see for x-mas lights) to turn the pump off and on.

reenact12321
08/24/2017, 04:47 PM
What kind of pump would you recommend to go the 10 ft or so upward?

homer1475
08/24/2017, 04:52 PM
I'm not to versed in pumps since my mixing station is on the same floor as my tank.

There is a thread in the DIY section about mixing stations, if you post in there I'm sure someone would give you an idea.

homer1475
08/24/2017, 04:54 PM
This thread!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1711626

If you browse that thread I remember reading someone wanting to push water up 2 flights of stairs and a couple pumps were recommended.

billdogg
08/26/2017, 09:59 AM
I use a mag18 to both mix and move the water from my 55g drum in the basement fishroom up to the DT in the living room. For years I used a python siphon to both remove the old water and then to pump the new water up from the basement. During the last upgrade, I used 3/4" PVC to run a line up through the wall to the back of the tank, a PVC faucet to allow it to flow, and a $10 remote switch from Menards to turn the pump on and off. No more schlepping buckets for me!