PDA

View Full Version : Cupramine & quarantine


Realest20
08/24/2017, 08:32 PM
Hey folks.
I could use some feed back to adjust my methods. I'll try to give as much detail to assist with advise.

Set up.. 10 gal quarantine tank. One 500 gph circ pump. Aqua clear Hob. Air stone.

I had my quarantine set up and running for months. Nothing but a salvage piece of rock with GSP on it. All parameters tested good.

Decide it was time to grow my fish count.
Came home with a yellow tang and little ocellaris.
Ocellaris died in 12 hours.
Second tiny ocellaris died in 48 hours.
Yellow tang still strong.
Talked with some folked and did some research. Decided to medicate. Paragaurd was recommend but online clown breeder.
LFS (trusted) recommended cupramine. Came home with cupramine and new larger Ocellaris.

Dosed 20 drops in 10 gal as per bottle.
Fish looked good.
Tested for ammonia with api kit. Seachem site says fault positive common with this kit.
Dosed second amount at 48 hours.

Next morning tang is swimming circles caught in minor current of aqua clear 20 (circ pump off).

Tang conditioned got worse. Ocellaris seemed okay.
Wife completed nitrate test. 0 ppm
All my bacteria killed off and likely ammonia spike. Completely two 50% emergency water changes. One in morning one in afternoon. Reinstalled carbon.

Yellow tang didn't make it. Ocellaris looks good.

Tonight I have added an ammonia patch, and a cap full of seachem stability.

My conclusion is that my biological filtration wasn't big enough to handle to blow from medication. Ammonia spiked and my tang suffered.

What do you folks think?
How can I improve this process. I don't want to lose more in the future.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170825/1412a2b3bf13f05a12ac95da4ee96dd1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170825/72473ae13395a19cce3f2558b262cfb4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Newms118
08/24/2017, 08:39 PM
Seachem stability didnt do squat for my filter. I had to dump half a bottle of Biospira in to get it going. If anything, just do both. And what are you treating for, just to be sure? If thats the case, I would have used the Paraguard as a cure all unless you actually see ich. Once done with the paraguard, then do Prazipro (even though Paraguard is supposed to treat flukes; im currently treating a flame angel with it right now).

Realest20
08/24/2017, 08:44 PM
I did see any ich. It was just to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Realest20
08/24/2017, 08:45 PM
Seachem stability didnt do squat for my filter. I had to dump half a bottle of Biospira in to get it going. If anything, just do both. And what are you treating for, just to be sure? If thats the case, I would have used the Paraguard as a cure all unless you actually see ich. Once done with the paraguard, then do Prazipro (even though Paraguard is supposed to treat flukes; im currently treating a flame angel with it right now).



I didnt see any ich. It was just to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk



Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Newms118
08/24/2017, 08:47 PM
Well losing the fish due to copper isnt unusual since its a hard treatment. There are plenty of people on here that have used it successfully, it just takes being careful. Im not the most careful person. Perhaps TTM would have been better, or like i said, using the Paraguard since that would cover other more mild diseases like flukes. Its supposed to treat Ich but I dont believe that either.