PDA

View Full Version : Pulling apart a tank...

Fredfish
08/25/2017, 05:23 PM
Not going so well.

I used an e string from my guitar to cut through the silicone on both ends of the front pane, but can't get it under the bottom (sides are on top of the bottom).

I pulled apart a disposable razor with which I can get part way under, but then it too is too thick for the layer of glue.

I tried some isopropyl alcohol to see if it would soften the silicon, but it does nothing. I can't really use anything more aggressive because the tank is in my apartment.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

bhbell
08/25/2017, 07:13 PM
Someone mentioned using a strip of plastic milk jug.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
08/25/2017, 08:06 PM
Obviously scrap with a razor the majority of the seam around that bottom perimeter if you hvent already. Now with that done you mentioned ha ing used a string on the side panels. Make sure the sides are completely free. Next you should be able to gently start to turn each vertical pane outward. If needed use a 1in metal putty knife to slice thru the joint as ypu begin to open it by having rotated a pane outward.

My advice, if you have to risk any, start with the smallest end pane which is the cheapest to replace if anything does happen.
Gluck.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Fredfish
08/25/2017, 08:45 PM
Obviously scrap with a razor the majority of the seam around that bottom perimeter if you hvent already. Now with that done you mentioned ha ing used a string on the side panels. Make sure the sides are completely free. Next you should be able to gently start to turn each vertical pane outward. If needed use a 1in metal putty knife to slice thru the joint as ypu begin to open it by having rotated a pane outward.

My advice, if you have to risk any, start with the smallest end pane which is the cheapest to replace if anything does happen.
Gluck.

Doh! Missed the obvious. I'll try that. That front pane is not going to turn out as is.

Good idea to do the end panes first. I can get a blade part way under the outside of the seam, so it is probably going to be easier to turn the big panes inward.

Thanks.

Lsufan
08/25/2017, 08:55 PM
I would do like the post above mentioned & make sure u remove all of the inside seal on the tank. On the couple I have done, once I removed all the silicone from the inside I was able to fit a small razor blade inbetween the seems & cut through some of it. I usually do the front & back pane first because once u get enough silicone cut out it will start to move a little bit. Once it starts to move u can slightly pull on the glass to open up the seam just enough to fit the razor to cut it all the way through. U do have to be careful not to put to much pressure on the glass. The size of the tank & how it was assembled will also determine the best way to go about it

Fredfish
08/26/2017, 02:15 PM
Tank is now apart. What ended up working best for the two remaining side joints was to use the blades from the disposable razor to work a section loose followed by a utility knife blade to spread the glass a bit. There were sections where even the razor blade was too thick.

The bottom I had to work at from the outside with the disposable razor before the glass would really tilt inwards at all.

FWIW, the e string was .0095 in and the disposable razor, .0045 in. There's not much silicone in those joints.

The glass is 3/8', the tank is a 65g long, 48x18x18.

It is going to become a 44 gallon sump 48x18x16 if all the cuts go well.

Clowning_Around
08/28/2017, 11:28 AM
Glad it worked out