PDA

View Full Version : LPS ID + acan question

aydemir
08/25/2017, 11:21 PM
Hi all, looking for an ID on these two in the pic.
http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p525/aydemir95/20170817_160018_zpsziz6yssi.jpg

Not looking for a specific ID of what these colours are called, just the species. I thought they were the same species, and put them on the same rock. I noticed yesterday that the one on the left (reddish/blue) stung the green one pretty bad, and the stung head of the green one is dying.

I may have been misinformed, but I thought that two corals of the same species could co-exist (touch)?

Reef Bass
08/26/2017, 08:10 AM
FYI, your picture is not showing up because of Photobucket's new terms.

aydemir
08/26/2017, 09:40 AM
Oops! Here is the pic.

Reef Bass
08/27/2017, 06:35 AM
Those do not appear to be the same species to me. The left one looks like Micromussa lordhowensis and the right one could be Acanthastrea echinata. Regardless I would separate them, especially if they've already been at each other.

kurt_n
08/30/2017, 11:32 PM
Agree with what Reef Bass said. Definitely move them apart.

They were probably sold to you both as "Acans". The Micromussa lordhowensis recently underwent a classification change and used to be called an Acanthastrea lordhowensis - that's still what many folks call them. And the other is definitely Acanthastrea echinata. But regardless of species, both are pretty aggressive.