PDA

View Full Version : Paraguard caused red powder on tank bottom

Newms118
08/26/2017, 03:25 PM
So Ive been using Paraguard to treat my flame angel for 6 says straight. Today I noticed that on the bottom of the tank, there is a red powder that to me, kind of seems like its a precipitate, like maybe some of the drug has fallen out of solution. The QT silicon seals have also turned light blue, which I assume is them absorbing the malachite green. And I treat every day like it says on the bottle, so I dont know why anything would fall out of solution, bc the concentration shouldnt be increasing. I'm going to change some of the tank water and retreat, but just want to know if anyone has experience with this before.

JustinM
08/27/2017, 01:55 PM
Is it a red powder or possibly a red algae forming? How old is the tank?

Newms118
09/02/2017, 12:18 PM
Is it a red powder or possibly a red algae forming? How old is the tank?

I can blow it around so hard to say if red algae or powder, its maybe 3 or 4 months running since its just a QT.

Newms118
09/02/2017, 12:53 PM
I should note that i contacted Seachem about this and they said their product should not precipitate a red powder, and that turning the silicone sealant light blue is typical bc of malachite green (WHY DONT THEY CALL IT MALACHITE BLUE ITS BLUE). They asked me to check the silicate level, which I dont have a test for. I use RO/DI water that has a silicate filter on it so....

Tripod1404
09/02/2017, 02:08 PM
I should note that i contacted Seachem about this and they said their product should not precipitate a red powder, and that turning the silicone sealant light blue is typical bc of malachite green (WHY DONT THEY CALL IT MALACHITE BLUE ITS BLUE). They asked me to check the silicate level, which I dont have a test for. I use RO/DI water that has a silicate filter on it so....

Well their product description clearly advertise that;

ParaGuard™ is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available (for parasites on fish). Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot). It is particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank.

It is called malachite green because the solid form of the compound is emerald green.

Plus they recomand not to use it in reef tanks;

Not recommended for reef aquaria. As an alternative, use Seachem’s MetroPlex™.