PDA

View Full Version : Instant Ocean salt and SPS tanks

bucfan
08/27/2017, 07:24 AM
Anyone using IO salt in SPS tanks? I recently switched to this from RC since I see the parameters are nearly identical. So I am not sure what the big difference is besides the price. Can anyone chime in? I am sure this has been discussed here before and if someone could share that link it will be appreciated.

billdogg
08/27/2017, 08:06 AM
I use both and have for many years. Regular IO often is a little light on the "big three" - Ca, Alk, Mg, so if I notice things are trending down, I'll use RC. Conversely, if things are borderline high, then IO it is!

hth

and fwiw - foster and smith usually has the best price around. The fedex guy hates me when I order 6-8 cases at a time.

mcgyvr
08/27/2017, 08:06 AM
RC is higher in everything..
I wouldn't consider them nearly identical by any means..
IO
400 ppm cal
11 dkh alk
1350 ppm mag

RC
490 ppm cal
13 dkh alk
1440 ppm mag

bucfan
08/27/2017, 08:14 AM
RC is higher in everything..
I wouldn't consider them nearly identical by any means..
IO
400 ppm cal
11 dkh alk
1350 ppm mag

RC
490 ppm cal
13 dkh alk
1440 ppm mag
The idea is the water change has more Alk, Ca, Mg than your tank water so it brings those parameters up. But if one is already dosing Mg and using a Ca reactor, which is what I do, is that important? Or am I wrong in my assumption? In fact Tropic Marine Pro which is supposedly the best salt out there mixes lower than IO when it comes to alk.

Cheapreef
08/27/2017, 09:57 AM
How much of a water change are you doing that you need to worry about ALK?
I keep my tank around 8.2-8.5dKH Even at the high 13dKH of RC at a 10% water change it is less than a 0.5 dKH bump. Nothing really to worry about IMO, def not worth changing salt mix over.

bertoni
08/27/2017, 04:15 PM
If you are dosing alkalinity and calcium separately, then higher levels in the water for changes are more of a nuisance than a help. I'd pick a salt product that mixed up to parameters I could tolerate, or that I could dose up to my target levels, if need be. IO should be fine. Lots of Tanks of the Month have run on IO.

Potatohead
08/27/2017, 04:28 PM
If you are dosing alkalinity and calcium separately, then higher levels in the water for changes are more of a nuisance than a help. I'd pick a salt product that mixed up to parameters I could tolerate, or that I could dose up to my target levels, if need be. IO should be fine. Lots of Tanks of the Month have run on IO.

Agree. It is far better to have low parameters in salt mix and then dose up in he mixing container to match the tank. People make the argument that a water change only raises dkh .3 or whatever so who cares, but my tank (along with many others) has never had a .3 swing rise or fall over any more than at least probably four days and has a .8 swing for its entire existence. I don't particularly want to find out what happens when I swing it .3 in five minutes when I have an alternative option.

djbon
08/28/2017, 03:51 AM
Regular IO (purple box) since the beginning and tank is good. Still using the same salt for SG correction as I don't do WC. IMO, IO is fine for a reef tank.

Big E
08/28/2017, 04:08 AM
I've been using standard IO for 17+ years on acropora dominant systems.

bucfan
08/28/2017, 04:10 AM
So why the difference in price between IO and RC? Does RC have some supplemental stuff not found in IO?

jda
08/28/2017, 08:26 AM
RC just has a few more elements in it. Calcium and alk are higher, but the higher alk is no bueno in a SPS tank.

There are a handful of what I consider good salts that the parameters are on the money every time, and IO is one of them. I have used it for decades except for a few side trips to try Salinty and I also used to mix IO and Oceanic. Any of these salts need doctored too.

I mix 50G bag of IO into a 44G brute, stir, heat, 20mls of Muratic Acid, 2 tbsp of Dowflake and mix for a few more days. Perfect SPS water every time. If I am just doing a bucket or two, then I just mix it straight.

Alk is the only thing that I have figure out how to easily lower. I have no idea how I would lower Mag or Calcium.

mcgyvr
08/28/2017, 08:26 AM
So why the difference in price between IO and RC? Does RC have some supplemental stuff not found in IO?

More "stuff" = more money.. Welcome to the world.. ;)

Its marketed as the "premium" version an as such is priced accordingly..

It supposedly has some organics in it too.. Not sure on the specific details there though..

Its just higher in everything plus some from what I understand.. Kind of a trade secret though so not sure we all know exactly whats in it.. But they say its more.. So we put our heads down and bust out the wallets like good little humans are expected too..

I just switched to IO a few months back from RC as I'm keeping my alk a little lower so I liked its parameters better for me..IO works just fine for me..

bucfan
08/28/2017, 08:28 AM
RC just has a few more elements in it. Calcium and alk are higher, but the higher alk is no bueno in a SPS tank.

There are a handful of what I consider good salts that the parameters are on the money every time, and IO is one of them. I have used it for decades except for a few side trips to try Salinty and I also used to mix IO and Oceanic. Any of these salts need doctored too.

I mix 50G bag of IO into a 44G brute, stir, heat, 20mls of Muratic Acid, 2 tbsp of Dowflake and mix for a few more days. Perfect SPS water every time. If I am just doing a bucket or two, then I just mix it straight.

Alk is the only thing that I have figure out how to easily lower. I have no idea how I would lower Mag or Calcium.

What's the muriatic acid and Dowflake for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jda
08/28/2017, 08:31 AM
Muratic Acid will lower the alkalinity into the 7s where I like it - it will also drop the PH for a day until you blow all of the extra CO2 out of it with a pump. Dowflake is calcium chloride and raises the calcium.

ca1ore
08/30/2017, 08:50 PM
Long term IO user here as well. Since I'm going to have to run a calcium reactor (or dose) anyhow, why pay the premium. SPS does just fine.

thegrun
08/30/2017, 08:58 PM
I switched to IO a year and a half ago in my SPS dominated mixed reef and my tank looks better. I dose two part so I did need to slightly increase my dosage, but I eliminated the small spikes in alkalinity and calcium that I used to see using "reef" salts. The only negative is that I do now need to dose a small amount of magnesium.

bif24701
08/30/2017, 09:31 PM
Been using IO since I started this tank about ~11 months ago. I've not added any additive but for some Fe, KNO3, and some Seachem Phosphorus. Results from a recent ICP test confirm I made the right choice and will continue my water changes with IO4Life.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170831/26fc90ec78a5a98d2fbe768c515f40ab.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170831/f10ed9970fc42dda367224a0a05249d0.png

IO has everything a growing coral could need.

tlc
08/30/2017, 11:24 PM
jason fox uses io

JaySchulz
08/30/2017, 11:33 PM
Doesn't Randy Holmes Farley (probably the most well versed chemist in our hobby) use regular IO?

I plan on using IO for my current build which will be SPS dominant.

bif24701
08/31/2017, 12:02 AM
I switched to IO a year and a half ago in my SPS dominated mixed reef and my tank looks better. I dose two part so I did need to slightly increase my dosage, but I eliminated the small spikes in alkalinity and calcium that I used to see using "reef" salts. The only negative is that I do now need to dose a small amount of magnesium.

IO is a little low on MAG for my SPS tank, just add a little Epsons salt to my mixed water.

bif24701
08/31/2017, 12:04 AM
Doesn't Randy Holmes Farley (probably the most well versed chemist in our hobby) use regular IO?

I plan on using IO for my current build which will be SPS dominant.

Yes, he DID, when he had a reef. It's since been taken down. Lucky for us he sticks around to answer all our questions and remind us how much more we all have to learn.

Ihuntbugs
09/02/2017, 05:46 PM
I've been using IO for 4 years. Happy with it. Never tried anything else though.